Licorice plants edible or not?

Emergency Cake

Emergency Cake

Farm Hand
Google is great, but sometimes what it pulls up up is also baffling. Some resources suggest that the licorice plant is not edible and others say that it is. What say you all? In case you're wondering, I do make licorice flavored sweets, but most licorice flavoring comes from anise plants.

leon

leon

Golden Chicken
The licorice plant (Helichrysum petiolare) is not edible. What is grown is a licorice extract taken from the root of a plant that grows in many areas. A harvest of licorice takes three to five years.

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
Interesting for sure. To be honest I had no idea where licorice came from. I didn't know there was a plant. Very interesting to me, thanks for teaching me something new.

Emergency Cake

Emergency Cake

Farm Hand
The licorice plant (Helichrysum petiolare) is not edible. What is grown is a licorice extract taken from the root of a plant that grows in many areas. A harvest of licorice takes three to five years.
Oh, that makes sense. Boy do I feel silly now. I should've thought of something like that, because there are many plants where you can safely eat certain portions but not others. Thank you for explaining it to me!