Combines low voltage on R52

johnboy

Tom it could be a couple of things.sometimes the alternator can get dust in it and that can drop the voltage down,blow it out with a air -compressor.a diode could be a little sad or a bad earth.The auto swing function does take a lot of power.just try blowing the alternator first it's the cheapest.

John

I once had a similar problem on my R5. Turned out to be the relay_switch inside the console in the cab. It would get very hot while I was running. When I took it out it would rattle when you shook it. must have had contactors go bad or something. Replaced it and took care of my voltage problem.

Tom_Russell

Isnt that relay_switch also a timerIJ If that is correct, the timer part has stopped doing what it is supposed to do, which is to disengage the in_out solenoids. I would look here first if the light only comes on when in the auto mode. Tom in MN

Ed_Boysun

A couple things on the low voltage problem, johnboy's post on cleaning the alternator is right on. Another thing is to check the cooling shroud and hose that goes to it, as the warmer the alt. gets the less voltage it will put out.

Curt

Tom I have a question for you. When we use our auto auger swing out on our M2 It acts like it is still activating the soleniod when the auger is back or forward. Where is this timer that you are talking aboutIJ Is it located in the console over head where the swicth is or near the fuse blockIJ Curt

Curt

I'm not sure about combines but a mechanic and my local auto parts dealer told me that alternators are supposed to charge anywhere from 13.8-14.5V when they are new. I'm not sure if you are running lights or a heater or something that requires alot of voltage but I agree I would definitly look into it. Curt

Jeremy

I wonder if this is the issue I had on the N6 I drove last harvest. The last day we were cutting, the A_C fan in the cab started blowing fuses (I went through three before I stopped replacing them) and a couple of weeks later, one of the owners asked me if I ran through a bunch of green vines as the main clutch was partially burnt out. Consequently after wheat harvest was over, they cut garbonzo's with the same machine and it never acted up, granted it had cooled off a lot by that time.