Combines M2 feeding problem in heavy corn

tbran

hard to comment - to many variables. 1. finger timing, either too late or more likely the fingers are not retracted fully at the 5 oclock position when viewed from the lh side (opposite the drive end) . 2. Worn cylinder bars 3. improper 'tightening' of clutch. sprocket must be removed and shimmed to the point clutch will not slip when tightened down w_o springs. Then remove enough shims allow the jaws to slip. Then add springs in number desired. This clutch can have all springs in and then shimmed to the point of coil bind and still slip allowing the beater to slip if not shimmed properly between the bearing lock collar and the square washer behind the clutch hub. In all my experience I have never seen a feeder beater that had less capacity in corn than the cylinder unless material came in in wads, or the material was super wet.

silverbean

what size headerIJIJ with our 6 row in 200 bu corn @ 25% moisture we speed up the corn head some with the variable speed and that helped but also slowed down the ground speed to 2.4 MPH---this combine wasn't made for 200+ bu. corn with a 6 row head, but it is doable!!!

dsmith

Today I removed the channel concave from the door. This eliminated the problem. I am leaning toward worn rasp bars. I reversed them last year (mid season) and would estimate about 600 acres on them. I was hoping to finish the season with these bars. It is interesting that they were working fine one day in 190 bu corn then the next day started choking but I guess the leading edge on the rasp bars just got to that critical point. I noticed that some of the large cobs (with husks still on) were lodged just ahead of the cylinder. I believe that the door concave was holding them back and not letting them travel far enough into the cylinder for the rasp bars to pull them through. This begs the question should I be using the channel concave on the door when in corn. Thankyou for your responses. It is always encouraging to know that someone is available to give some advice when you are having those frustrating days.