Combines moving feederhouse chain

farmboy

The only thing that I could think would make the chain slide to one side or the other is if both sides of the chain aren't at the same tension. That the side the chain is sliding too is looser than the opposite side.

JFarms

Check your front drum bearings. If your tightener bolts haven't moved the only other cause would be that you have a bearing out in the drum. Otherwise tighten the side that it is crawling towards.

polarbear

Thats what i was thinking, that the sides were equal.i never measured them, just went by looking more or less...better make sure to have tape measure w_me tomrorow...how loose do you guys run your chains anywaysIJIJmy unlce mentioned something about being able to just slide your hand under the bar on each side was goodIJ

JFarms

We run the Black Ace rollers in all of our combines as a result I run my chains tighter than if I didn't have them. Without the Black Ace we would measure the distance using the box end of the 15_16 wrench you are using to tighten the chain to slide under between the chain and the floor directly below the top access door, this will give you about a 1_2" clearance, any looser and you are banging on the feeder floor.

farmertim

Mr. Johnson, Where do you get the Black Ace rollersIJ Thanks, Tim

JFarms

When we order new combines we have our dealer get them and install them before delivery. Most CaseIH dealers carry the Terog line which is who makes the Black Ace rollers. At least they do up here in the north country. They sure make the feeder house run quiet and really helps keep the feeder chain tight.

swede

They support the top[return] side of the feeder chain,and are put in under the top access lid.After the chain comes around the top sprockets and goes across the steel frame support,these hold up the chain so it doesn't bang on the steel part.They are rubber rollers on bearings so they run nice and quiet and smooth.Good investment.

polarbear

I fussed w_it some this morning....loosend it up to the pt where i could recenter it, ran it at idle by time i got back down to watch it, it was already back to the side...WTF..loosend it up again to check drum bearings...tight..hmm well i gave up, had to get some other stuff at dealer talked SM, had mechanic come out after lucnh...At equal amt of no tension on each side(hope that makes sense) the left side came out a bit, while the right side was super loose...Chains shot...go get a new one at 400 bucks, we put it in, get it all tight run it and i come back out of the cab, look and its prit near right back over there...all bummed out, but got to looking and there some plastic in the back that the chain runs over, it had worn such a grove in the one side, that ya cant change it, til ya put new in...thats going to be a small winter project... at least it seems a bit quieter, hook head back up tomorrow and see what happens...