Combines my 1440 didn t burn yet

larryNCKS

No safeties on there that I'm aware of. low oil pressure may cause the injection pump to do funny things though. Perhaps someone else will have a better answer. That sure is aggravating when you're that close to done and encounter a problem. I hope it's not too major.

s

Is it the worst time for something like this to happen IJ better with two rounds to go then on the first two of next season Hope yah can get it fixed quick or hire someone to finnish you up Good luck

larryNCKS

Did anybody say it's the worst timeIJ I said it is aggravating . . . and it is!

nebraska_farmer

i knew this 1440 should have accidently burned!!!

nebraska_farmer

ok...my 1440 is really done now! went out this morning, tried to start it, batteries were to low, went to town, bought 2 new batteries, as these were always going low. $168.00. had the new valve cover gasket replaced. (ain't got the bill for that yet! topped off the oil level. hit the starter...started right up!! running fine, let it warm up, went to finish my 2 rounds of soybeans, went about 300 foot and the engine blew up!!..there's a hole in the side of the block you can push a softball thru...it hasn't been a very good day today. don't know whether to go look for another combine, rent one, or pull my old gleaner out of the trees and start over!! oh yeah...my bin is almost full of beans, anyone think of an easy way of unloading themIJ can i somehow hook up a hyd hose to my tractor to unloadIJ and what do i have to do to pull the combine back to the place without ruining the hydroIJ any ideasIJ thanks!!

larryNCKS

Sorry for all your trouble. If your machine has decent brakes (or you won't be going down any slopes at all, not even minor ones),you can shift the range transmission to neutral for the tow. This completely disconnects the final drives from the hydro. As for the bin unloader, sorry but that is all belt driven. Your best bets are a scoop shovel, small auger, or big vacuum. You may be able to catch some out the small drain door on the bottom of the auger, but I wouldn't think you'd be succesful at emptying much of the bin this way. As for options for repair, If you wish to rebuild that machine and you've got enough finances available, short block your engine or go totally reman. Before you choose short block, study the valve train to ascertain its fitness. likely the valves and guides will need some attention. If you're limited on finances, try a used engine from a salvage yard such as Abilene Machine. Another option might be a good used machine. A 1440 or 1460 shouldn't be overly pricey. You could then use current heads. HTH

nebraska_farmer

thanks larry...i priced out another used engine, supposed to be good, installed by a dealer is gonna be about $6500-$7000...whew!!, am going shopping today, found a few around nebraska, 1440's and 1460's, got banker approval...anyone know if the parts from my 1440 will fit a 1640IJ gonna look at a few of them too!! also found a real nice 1440, but they say it needs an upright and unload auger replaced, how much of a job is thatIJ i sure would like to get done before the snow flies here, and that sounds like it'll be here about the end of the week!! maybe i should just rent one for now!!

nebraska_farmer

this forum won't let me start a new post for some reason, have to go thru other posts

nebraska_farmer

i went out and looked at my old gleaner sittin in the trees, put some fresh gas, a battery in it, poured some gas down the carb,,,the ole gal started right up and kept running, i drove it up to the shop and parked it...may have to use it to finish...will let ya'll know after tomarrow on my combine shopping spree!!

Ohio__Steve

For my 2 cents rent one and make sure you get the crop and then you'll have time to find a good combine and a good deal. Better yet if you can rent one of the prospects and get a good field trial, with no strings...Happy hunting!