Combines need parts book for 1680

Big_Al

You might try ebay for a parts book as for the piston ring problem they did have some problems with the very first cummins engines in the I think 1990 model year. If the machine you bought has over 3000 hours chances are it has been looked after. I think the problem was very high oil consumption on those 1680's with the ring problem. Hope this helps.

Chads

Have you priced your CaseIH dealer. When we bought the books for our 1480, they weren't that bad. The service manual is another story. As for the ring problem. I'm pretty sure they were all recalled and fixed. At any rate, if yours hase 3700 hrs on it, it doesn't have it. Chads

newt

I guess the point I was trying to clarify concerning the engine problem with the 1680s is this: some of these machines either had overhauls or new engines put in, depending on how long it took the problem to be recognized first by the owners and then by IH. I would think it took IH a while to recognize the problem and implement a recall. So, some 1680s showing high hours may have recieved a new engine say at 2000 hrs, courtesy of IH. I haven't heard anyone comment as to the running hours it took for the ring problem to show up. The dealer I talked to said IH would not have records past 4-5 yrs. I was wondering if I could do a serial n search through IH to determine if this machine was involved in the recall. Sounds as if this is impossible.

Farm_Kid2

We have a 90 model and the recall covered it. It seems like it was done in 91, but could have been 92IJ I doubt there were many done at 2000 hours since 89 should have been the first year of the CDC engine.

Chads

If the combine n's are handled like the tractors. You can find out anything that happened to the machine during it's warranty period. But no records after that. If the engine was recalled and reinstalled, I would think that would be recorded. It would be worth a shot to see. I think CaseIH recognized the problem pretty quickly. My College Roomates dad bought a 1666 before wheat harvest, and between wheat harvest and fall harvest, they came out and swapped out the engine. My understanding was the once CaseIH realized they had a problem, they just fixed them all to avoid later problems, but this may be wrong. I don't beleive it was that way in the tractors. Chads

Chads

When did they switch to the lower RPM'sIJ Too lazy to go to Hoobers! Chads

redman

1990 machines were the first to recieve the cummins and they did the updates winter of 90-91.