Combines Need some info about Deutz air cooled engine in R 50

rforro

I had a 89 r50 which I purchased new. From day one if you made it work she would use 2 to 3 qts. a day.

brassring

We had a duetz in a 92 R-52 it was pruchased used and it used about 2 qts. every two to three days of use now have a new 52 with a cummins and it ueses about the same 2 qts every two to three days of use have a friend with a 2000 R-52 and his cummins uses a gallon everyother day ditrict rep says that's within acceptable range. friend doesn't agree but can't get cummins to do anything about it gee now that's a surprise!!!!!

meadowgreen

'92 R52 using quart_day, hard pull, 10 hr. day. B series cummins in American 80 and 6144 might use one quart between changes(100 hrs)

Ed

Neal, I had a 1988 R50 with the Deutz engine. Previous owner had complained about excessive oil consumption and the engine had been apart after the first season. In the beginning, we thought it was using quite abit of oil, but in a sporadic manner, ie 2 litres today, non tomorrow. Finally discovered that a) ignore the level on the dipstick when you pull it first time in the morning (check a second time) and b) the level stabilized at halfway between full and add and would hold there for 50 hours. Same engine in a 9150 DA tractor doesn't use oil.

John

As long as it is burning the small amounts of oil their is no problem. The Deutz CAN'T be leaking the oil, that is an accident waiting to happen. I have had many different brands of diesels and have identical models go from basically no oil use to 3 qts a day. It all comes down to how the rings were set when new or fresh OH. The easier starting engines seem to use more oil than the tighter_harder starting engines.

sebas

Hey Neal, What kind of oil do you use in the engine IJ I'm not familiar with Gleaner combines because i'm from europe but i'm very familiar with Deutz. If you engine have an intercooler then you have to use sintetic oil in it. That's what my Deutz dealer said to me. All the engines work with mineral oil exept the one with intercooler, don't know why. I have a combine with a 6 in line Deutz with 12000 hours on it. It use 1 or 2 liters every 50 engine hours of oil. I think it's not a lot. I notice that when the oil is old (+150 hours) the oil consumption is high than when the oil is new. About the RPM of your engine, my is turning at 2600 RPM, what about your'sIJ

brent_56

We have a 9190 deutz air cooled engine and it uses oil regularly also. It does very well on fuel economy and will outlug the newer DT 200 rated at a higher horsepower. They are good engines but use a little oil. Your combine sounds normal. Good luck

MHarryE

Having worked for Gleaner when your combine was built, I remember one of our most common customer concerns on new R50's was oil consumption. The answer from Deutz was 1_2% of fuel usage -- for every 100 gallons of diesel burned expect to burn 2 quarts. Newer synthetics developed since then should help because the oil consumption if from using oil jets to control hot spots. New oils handle heat better.

Ilnewholland

Neal, I not sure what kind of oil you are useing, but on our two DA 9190 tractors I use a 30 weight oil. It seems the tractors don't use as much oil as the 15w-30 oils. I think new engines are ok with 15w-30 oils but as they get older a heavy oil is better. I use a 30w oil in all my engines now and have very little oil consumption. Ilnewholland

PETE

Kind of fuuny, I switched from 30 wgt to 15-40 and cut my oil comsumption to almost nothing, I now have it in everything combine, tractors,truck, car and bicycle (chain). Go figure. Pete