Combines New R62 help

tbran

The upgrades in the posts you see in this forum will work. Better in some crops than others. The combine is designed for and will work GOOD in all crops just as it is right out of the factory when set properly. (O.K. give me a lITTlE leeway here) HOWEVER.... if you want to, in some cases, double the capacity, quality, and reliability read, do, and as Dan so admirably sez,,, enjoy! Choose the stuff that applies to your conditions and needs.. Any problems - ask for help! Someone will have had same questions and someone will have found answers.....

Dan

Brian, Yes I'm sure there are many dealers that don't know of or have ignored any imformation that has came out on the extended cylinder bars. I'm guilty myself of hearing of extended bars from a custume harvester and never extended any for at least a year. What a mistake for ignoring that performance tip for a year. I do admit that it is a whole lot more important to extend bars on the large P3's than the small P3's. Extending the bars helps to convey the tough straw to the discharge and helps prevent grinding the straw which can overload the shoe. Most figured they would have more rotor loss and found out they had less. Now onto seperator grate. I would remove every other wire from seperator grate for that will prevent corn cobs from pluging it and increase seperation in the very hi yealding crops. Gleaner does have a high and wide spaced wire seperator grate which will not plug with cobs and wires are close enough to top of cross bars to help prevent the straw from starting to roll and trap seeds. That grate is only available threw parts at this time. Now you are wondering why I suggest covering the seperator grate with cage type material covers. Well I find that straw that don't want to slide can go down inbetween cross bars and start to roll which can take seeds out the end of rotor and the straw that breaks up very easy will continue to break up over seperator grate and overload the shoe. With the cover over the grate the straw can slide just as easily as the rest of the cage. I would not cover the grate in high yeilding wet corn for I think that is the main reason it is in there. There may be more reasons for not covering the grate and by this time next year we may know more. We have been covering grates on more and more machines here in NE ND for our crops but we sure don't have the high yeilds of some of you. I think tbran hit it right for these machines come from the plant to work as good as possible in many many crops and conditions. From harvesting grass seeds to kidney beans and less than 20bu. per acre to over 200bu. per acre it can't be easy to find the right combination to make us all happy. I think with more conversation here on what works and what don't we'll all benifit. I hope that helps clear things up. Anyone that has extended bars or covered the seperator grate please add your comments. Dan

Dan

Hyper, I didn't see that you had posted before I sent my post and see you kindof hit the nail on the head also. Yes I would much rather see the wires in the seperator grate closer to the top of cross bars. I also may find when I get the chance to try your hi-low bar configuration that the seperator grate may not grind up the allready overly ground brittle straw and overload the shoe. We need just a little more time to answer some of these quistions but I figure we are very close to the ultimate setup. Catch you later. Dan