Combines No more soybeans in south U S A IJ

Wasgreen

I plan to plant beans again next year here in N.W. Iowa, but after that, I will have to play it by ear. From what I understand, the rust will blow up here fron the south and infect our beans in the spring and summer but it cannot over-winter in the north because the frost kills the host plants. What have you heard about thisIJ

redMN

Here in MN we plan on planting beans next year as well. I think it may scare off a few producers that in time will raise the price of them and the additional cost of raising them won't be as noticed. My only thought.

wilddog

I already have wheat planted so I'm locked in to double crop beans this year. If we have to spray once or more times with fungicide and still lose some yield, I don't see how we can keep on growing at anywhere near the current price. These things seem to play out in unexpected ways, so it is just a big guessing game now. May have to try continous corn or maybe cotton in future.

CAJUN__BOY

three weeks ago louisiana State University Extention service sent out info three to four years to get ready for Asian rust wow how time flies when your having funIJIJIJ I'm from south louisiana we rotate rice an soybeans rice is a very personalized crop I guess beans will be too now, from info here we'll have to be more vigerous about scouting fields with the humidity here we already use fungicides many address some rust issues it's just another piece of the puzzle yes there will be some decline of beans in the south not just from rust but from weather, green bean, prices increase input cost.I wouldn't look for bean prices to react to much to the rust issue market is focus on south american crop the big thing holding markets some what up here is you boys up north not selling so tell you friends to store corn in the back bed room and hold the beans !!!!!!!!!!!!

RAB

I don't know about areas further south than Arkansas but I can tell you there will be no decrease in acres here due to rust concerns. lots of people are talking about dropping their corn acres because of the high fertilize prices and moving to early beans. Very early maturity bean seed is expected to be in short supply next spring due to high demand. Most farmers along with myself are moving to plant a good percentage of our crop to these early beans which mature in mid-August and early September. I've had them the last 2 years and couldn't be more pleased with the results plus the early harvest allows us to sell against the August futures. We were booking beans this year for $9.00 and got well over $6.00 for the overage. If the south gets burned by the rust very bad you'll see a lot soy acres in the future going to alterante crops like rice, cotton, corn or milo but don't look for it this year.

JB

Did read one comment about it not making the winter if it gets cold enough here in the south. Hoping for a cold winter.

greenstrat

from the comments of most I have seen, I think there will be a train wreck of collossal proprotions before we know just how fast (from no symptoms to 80% defoliated in about 6 days) this thing will screw us up, ala brazil. When it hit them, there was no way they could get out in front and corral it. Better check on your crop insurance. GS

Deadduck

We are currently exploring options for next year. I've been on the phone trying to find out which fungicides we'll have to use and if there will be a good supply of them. There will some acreage drop here in northeast louisiana due to the falling price. This disease may increase that somewhat. But with the low price of alternative crops such as cotton, corn, and rice, coupled with high N fertilizer prices, soybeans are still a viable option. We're coming off two years of record breaking soybean yields down here, so I don't think that there will be a huge drop in acreage for 2005. After that, it will depend on how bad we get hurt and how much it costs us to control this beast. Remember, our university and extension people have been preparing us for this invasion for 3 years now, so I don't think there will be a massive panic or anything.

JB

What part of louisiana are you fromIJ I live in Avoyelles parish,Marksville to be exact.

Deadduck

I farm in West Carroll parish, in northeast lA, near Epps, if that tells you anything.