Combines Off combine 8030 Issue

wildcat

Question; are the described symptoms in reference to a tractor or "the big green machine"IJ If it's the latter, I would proceed exactly as planned. ;^) Sorry I can't be more help.

tbran

When does it do this - hot or cold. It is extremly rare for head gaskets to cause this on 426's . This is the check, after sitting overnite, crack the oil pan drain bolt and let it drip - if there is antifreeze it could be electrolysis or a cracked sleeve rather than a head gasket. If no antifreeze is found run tractor till thermostats open - 180 degrees - with rad cap off. Notice the coolant. IF there are bubbles and 'burping' it could be the head - it could be electrolysis or a cracked sleeve - refer back to the precrank check. IF there are no bubbles there is the possiblity one of the thremostats could be stuck or the bypass hose kinked or blocked. Does it run hot - it should never run much more than 190 degrees. To check the water pump -while wearing eye protection - have someone nail the throttle from idle to wide open. The coolant should lower 2-4" then gradually come up. If it does not move check rad for internal plugging - belt slippage, or a bad water pump. IF the water lowers - you have an externally plugged radiator - remove the coolers and radiator shroud and clean it completely. IF water shoots out or foams - you have a head gasket problem more than likely. Before teardown pressureize the radiator with a test kit and drain the oil and check for water in the pan to rule out sleeve problems.

jj

The burping seams to cycle with the thermostats opening and closing. There is no violent bubbling but it happens more often when warm. It never has gone over half way up on the temp guage. I will go through your checks and post again. Thanks

NDDan

Electrolisis or cracked sleeve would be rare in this part of the world. More often on that low output 426 would be head gasket. Could of been an overheat some time back that weakened the gasket. We would plain the head when renewing gasket. It is about imposible to totally eliminate combustion gas from getting into coolant especially when you get to higher output 426s. In this case especially on older machines when they don't want to cut counterbores to install shims under sleeves and or plain the deck of block we will install what I call air bleed off line. Most newer engines will have these. I found the air will pool toward back of head until it boils and then purge air and coolant out overflow. Often times temperature gauge will read just a bit higher than usual when problem starts and then escalate with higher loads. We install air bleed off line between rear allen head plug in head and cover on top of thermostats. We orfice one of the fittings to prevent to much coolant from bypassing thermostats. I would only install bleed line after making best effort at proper repair. Good luck

Hyper_Harvest_II

Early style head gaskets were blue in color. We have had more than our share of these fail. New gaskets will be gray in color. A couple of other things to check;Does the blow-by hose have a green slimey gel like substance in itIJ Is the top of the radiator swelled or bulgedIJ Definitey check for anti-freeze in the pan,but if the head gasket is leaking only a small amount it could be burning any water going into the cylinder. Hopefully you get the problem located. Good luck and let us know what you find. Hyper Harvest II

jj

Todays Update I checked for coolent in the oil and found none. Per Tbrans message the coolent level did not change with pegging the throttle so I pulled the waterpump. I'm not sure that will take care of the bubbling unless it's a bad waterpump seal seal. The impeller seams worn. I did not see any milkyness in the crankcase breather. Thanks for the help will post the results

tbran

as I stated, make SURE the thermostats were open for the flow test I mentioned. The important thing would be looking for bubbles or compression in the radiator. The 8000 with the overflow tank should keep the radiator full. After thinking about your problem, we could be talking about a 'pinhole' leak somewhere that compression is getting into coolant. Usually the low hp 8000's din't exhibit a problem round here, but there is always a first time. Again usually with the thousands of pounds of hot compression in the cylinder under load - a small leak usually turns into a big one really quick.

jj

I agree. I did get the new waterpump and found some oil in my coolent. That started me pulling the head to look for my leak. Will let you know what I find. Are there other recomended services while I am this farIJ This thing has about 4000 hours I wish i had a heated shop or at least heated tools :)

tbran

Oh, in that case, it is just as likely the oil cooler orings more than likey or the cooler. The oil runs at 70 PSI and the coolant less than 12 so... There are 'weep' holes on both ends of the filter base _ oil cooler. I have seen these plugged - wrong thing to do - to keep from maing a mess. The holes are there to show orings need replacing. We have found that when a water pump goes down there is a ceramic seal that breaks off sometimes. It will lodge in one of the cooler core tubes and vibrate and cause a leak. This is again on the RH side above the oil filters , Special orings one for water one for oil plus gaskets. We use a soft pine block wrapped with thick shop towel padding to press out the cooler - carefully. lube with veggie oil after cleaning and it will slide in. Be carefull as cooler is expensive if this turns out to be the problem area.

jj

Well I got the head off yesterday. looks like the head gasket is due. There looks like there is combustion leakage between cylinders and erosion of the gasket to one of the coolent passages on number 6 cylinder. There is a certain amount of slop in the pistons at TDC - seams to me too much clearence. I never had a diesal apart at 30 F before for comparison. Can the pan be dropped on a FWA 8030 to further inspect a piston and if needed renew the sleeves - pistonsIJ I dont have the equipment to split this tractor. Thanks jj