Combines Off topic 7000 series powershift cross compatability

MN_Dean

I am far from an expert but.. You could look up the two on the agco parts site and compare them. One thing that was an issue on the 7000 series and was resolved in the 8000s, a clutch drum was bolted to a gear in the trans. The bolts would shear off and you would loose several gears. later ones had larger bolts. The 7020 would have a 2 pinion differential where the 7060 would have a 4 pinion diff. but I am not sure if the trans has any differences. The shift valve is different because of age but works the same.

MN_Dean

If this one doesn't work type it in yourself. www.agcopartsbooks.com_EpsilonWeb_login.aspxIJregion=NorthAmerica

tbran

unless the trany has been hot - black belly trans are super reliable. They will switch as all housings are the same 7010-8070 as to interchange. Most problems are from dirty oil sticking shift valves. Switch trannys and check flow of gerotor pump. 7020 hyd pump might be higher flow due to less wear.

peteguy

Well, after much appreciated quick and informative comments by you two, I am now wondering just how far gone our 7060 PS unit is. tbran, in your experience, is the issue that MN Dean described concerning the clutch drum bolts shearing a very possible diagnosis for oursIJ Would it help the diagnosis if I new what gears and range functionedIJ I do believe we have no low range, and have three gears in high range, but it has sat for a while and I am foggy on the knowledge. the tractor was a loader tractor for a cowboy, so abuse will not be ruled out. we are now tracking down the local scrap guy, as he had a 7060 black belly with a good cab, so we may end up fixing both old girls back up, rather than junking the 7020, as the big chassis and little engine are kind of desireable for our uses. Any more info on running design changes and updates on the 7K-8K series Powershift would be much appreciated. thanks in advance!

MN_Dean

It was a long time ago when I had trans trouble. I had two in the same year. First one was 7000$ to fix and second one was 5000$ at the dealer. I can't remember what gears didn't work on either one. I sold the 7020 this year and put the 7060 on the backhoe. Sure takes more fuel for that job. Had to thin the heard a little.

posum

The tranny's are interchangable in all 7-8ooo series. bolts were a problem as described earlier but the biggest issue was the valve body . Pressure drops will fry the clutch packs. Million dollar trans with a 2 dollar control valve. As for no low range that was mechanical shift. C-1;B-1, and A-2 clutch packs were for lower gears if I remember right. Black 7000 or 8000 should have the upgraded valve body. good luck.

peteguy

Update: We got the ol gal! much better than described, and we will hopefully be able to piece it back together. also, back on our 7060, dad remembers it as having 5th and 6th, so 1-4 and reverse as being out. any ideas as to what that may beIJ thanks guys!