Pasture grass not growing

Sharpsmd

Have small 4 acres with 1 horse in Maryland (40 miles south of PA). Have tried to reseed pasture without tilling or drilling. Soil was tested and amended but broadcast seeding does not seem to take. Will I need to till or drill? Other suggestions? Thanks!

Dave Jay

Dave Jay

What and when did you plant? How tall was the forage that you planted into? Did you mow or cultipack after you seeded?

Ken Sweet

Ken Sweet

Farm Hand
1-Extreme Graze down the existing 2- run a disc harrow 3-broadcast seed in early spring (late Feb or March) 4-cultipack or run a chain harrow to incorperate the seed 5-Continue grazing until new seeds germinate 7-Pull off grazing livestock 8-do not graze or cut until mid to late summer. Ken Sweet

Winknotes

Terrific plan @Ken Sweet . I have the same situation where a couple horses have severely over grazed the field. The challenge I'll have is waiting for the ground to be dry enough to work which generally puts it late spring.

Winknotes

Also good to know. I'm wondering though if running the chain harrow over it would just pull the seed back up? Or would that help it maintain good seed-soil contact? Also in my case I have to keep the horses off once I seed because they're pretty rough on the ground. They'll pound it more than 6 inches down.

Ken Sweet

Ken Sweet

Farm Hand
It is suggested to disturb about to 1/4 1/3 of old growth in order to reduce competion while the new seedlings are getting started. Pasturing until germination also keeps old growth from shading/crowding out the new seedlings. Ken Sweet

Sharpsmd

1-Extreme Graze down the existing 2- run a disc harrow 3-broadcast seed in early spring (late Feb or March) 4-cultipack or run a chain harrow to incorperate the seed 5-Continue grazing until new seeds germinate 7-Pull off grazing livestock 8-do not graze or cut until mid to late summer. Ken Sweet
Thank you for the advice as well as all other comments. First time user.

rockinbbar

rockinbbar

Farm Hand
Rain would help our grass grow. Not exactly ideal rain conditions the past year.

Hay is getting expensive.