Pay what you want?

MartyR

Farm Hand
Does the pay what you want pricing strategy ever work out reasonably? My wife and I are considering it for our farm stand. We will shut down in October, so we'd have a little less than two months to try it. What do you think? I think it's a good idea. Since our customers already know what we charge, I think they'll continue paying that amount. And the PWYW pricing scheme will attract attention and bring in new customers. My wife is more cautious. She thinks people will take advantage, and we'll lose money like crazy. Thoughts?

Ritar

Ritar

Farm Hand
Interesting. I have a friend who has a "Pay what you can - stand". He complains often that people take without paying. His stand is a small stand, nothing large.
I'd be interested to hear how you make out.

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
I think your wife is right on the money. I can see PWYW pricing working out for a charity, but that's about it. I understand your viewpoint. However, you should consider that your regular customers might really think your prices are too high. Maybe they just go along with it because you have no competition, or maybe your farm stand is more convenient. Either way, I could see a scenario where your average customer pays less. Why take the risk?

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I know people who have tried it; there's always some folks that take advantage of the situation. If you do change your pricing scheme, then I'd run it as a limited-time promotion for a couple of weeks at the most. That way you can test it without losing a ton of money.

Holii

Holii

Farm Hand
I don't think it will end well either. I mean, if you are trying to be charitable it might work. I like the 2-week trial. Really though, what are you trying to do?