Peeling a boiled egg

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
What is your preferred method for boiling eggs and peeling them so that the shell comes off easily? I saw a tutorial where the chef pierced the bottom of the eggs with a needle before boiling them because he felt it made them easier to peel. Does that really work?

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I've never heard of that one before, so I can't say whether it works. My go-to method is to plunge the eggs into cold water as soon as they finish boiling. The shells usually peel off easily after that.

Roo4

Roo4

Farm Hand
I've never tried to poke a hole in the bottom of the egg either, so I can't say if that works. I also put them right in super cold water.
Newer eggs are very hard to get the peel off no matter what I try.

jack

jack

Farm Hand
I've never heard of that one before, so I can't say whether it works. My go-to method is to plunge the eggs into cold water as soon as they finish boiling. The shells usually peel off easily after that.
I use this method, but at times, the shells don't come off quickly. For how long should you boil eggs, and how for how many minutes should they remain in cold water?

Camoo4

Camoo4

Farm Hand
I too use the cold water method. As soon as they are done boiling, I dump the water and add cold water to the pan. I usually boil my eggs 11 minutes. I leave them in the water for as long as I can before I peel them. I don't like to eat warm hard-boiled eggs.

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
Thanks for all the tips! I swear my wife gets so mad at the eggs. Sometimes I swear she is going to throw them at the wall. I will tell her the cold water trick.