Plant incompatibility

Birdie

Golden Chicken
Which plants are incompatible and should not be planted close to one another because they change the taste, they attract pests, they harm the growth rate, or they encourage diseases? How far apart do those plants need to be in order to avoid a problem?

jjp8182

Farm Hand
Potatoes (of at least some varieties) seem to cause blossoming problems for other nightshades (e.g. tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) planted within 10-20 feet of the potatoes.

Ran into that a couple years ago, fortunately, everything was in containers so I could move the potatoes away from everything else - which seemed to make everything healthier and start bearing fruit. One of the advantages of experimenting with plants in containers.

The book Carrots Love Tomatoes is a pretty good source of information on the topic as well (for both beneficial and incompatible parings).

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
It depends on how much sunlight the plants need. I know tomatoes are not every compatible with many other plants because tomatoes will block out sunlight from the others.

Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
I don't know if this is helpful or not, but in general, it's a good idea to plant vegetables among herbs and flowers. In other words, don't plant vegetables in large patches in your garden because doing so attracts pests to them.