Combines R 42

eieiohio

We run an R40..No problem with 630 or 20' Sometimes if the corn is high yield and down, a lot of stalks will make it pull. 4-5 mph. We're happy.

T__langan

I'm gonna guess that the new 42's would be a pretty close match to the late R50's in terms of capacity - maybe even a bit more. They have increased the hp on all of them and now have a longer shoe. Only thing I'd worry about when buying a new 42 would be resale value - seems like those smaller class IV's just don't resale as well. I wonder how much longer they'll even keep offering the class IV machines. Tom langan

tbran

good question, if a producer can afford say a 125 thou machine, why not pop for 20 grand more and .... the R52 is still a whale of a machine. The problem length of harvest time pressure in really tough crops. If this is the problem then 20m is a good insurance policyIJ

loki

The reason I asked is because I'm thinking my 50 is getting old(89') and thought maybe a 42 was the same as or better.

tbran

r42's were the same as 52's except the grates and cages were not chrome. The grate can be built up in the machine. Accell rolls , engine exhaust manifold leaks, chopper or impeller wear, throat chains, final drive couplings that might not have been fixed and so forth. Grain bin bottom is at thin stage depending on crops grown. Check for wiring patches. All items that a little TlC can fix at a price.

pilotfarmer

Dairyfarmer this doesn't relate to your question. I believe you had a Friday the 13th power steering question on a M 2 gleaner. Did you get that fixedIJ What dit it takeIJ I have an M 2 with no power steering.

dairyfarmer

yes i did get it fixed the next day i had a broken tie rod end and it sat in there enough that i didnt notice it till i had someone else out there helping me i changed the pump in the steerring column and it didnt help i wasted a whole day there i dont know what to say on yours tbran should be able to get you going dairyfarmer

dairyfarmer

thanks for mentioning the other things i will look at them closer this weekend i knew they had the black grate and bars sounds like it has been updated would a rwa be easily found for one of these or not and how hard would it be to put on will this machine be able to replace 2 f2's and a old k normally we only run 2 of the f2's the third machine normally runs only in beans or for awhile in corn opening another field looking at going in with a neighbor_relation with this machine if i do it we both are running close to 300 acres each with another 200 acres of custom work each thanks again dairyfarmer

IowaDan

Just wondering where you are located and what year of R42 you are going to go look at. I'm asking because I might be getting rid of my R42. The reason is, I'm considering another occupation. Mine is a 1993 with the deutz engine. I can assure you that you will not find a cleaner or better cared for machine than this one. I'm located 35 miles southwest of Des Moines in Winterset, Iowa (the birthplace of John Wayne). I traded my F2 for this combine in 1999. At that time, I bought new heads, 4-38 Hugger and a 16ft 800 series platform. Both are still in excellent condition. Always shedded. You can send me an e-mail if interested and I will let you know more about my machine..............Dan

dairyfarmer

i am in southern illinois the machine is a 1992 they traded in a 818 header that i dont think i will take i am looking for a smaller on so i dont have to take it off to go down the road and a 320 will be just fine for me we only cut about 300-400 acres of soybeans a year and 200-300 acres of wheat the machine will see more corn and if i go with my cousin on the deal we will be needing 2 different cornheads he is still on wide rows and we do some custome work on wide rows i will keep you in mind thanks dairyfarmer