Combines R 52 sperator wire removal

Harvester

Actually the R52 does not have the high-wire separator grate available even as an option from the factory. This is only for the R62_72. Curiously, it is the R52 which most benefits from having a wider wire spacing at the separator grate for reducing rotor loss. So, what one must do is remove every other wire to obtain a wire spacing of 2 inches. Now a kid, well, young man, from Gleaner, told me at a school a few months ago that that spacing is fine for corn and soybeans, but can potentially overload the shoe if you are going to try doing some wheat or other cereal grains that has dry, brittle straw. If not, yank those wires and be amazed. You can plug the holes with some silicone sealant to keep stems_sticks from lodging in the holes, but it usually isn't a problem leaving them open. Alternately, or if you will do some small grains and worry about sending too much trash to the shoe, you can leave all the wires in and simply loosen and move every other bar of the separator grate forward and weld the two adjoining bars together to give you a 1 inch wire spacing, but an opening that is now twice as long. If only doing corn and beans, I would simply pull wires, as cobs can still lodge in the 1 inch spacing.

93aRRRgh_52

My 93-52 has that that close wire grate with the cobs stuck in it. What kind of a job is it to get those wires outIJ Would someone please detail that procedureIJ Will it help with the digestion of tough soybean strawIJ Is removing those wires the thing to do in corn_soybean countryIJ

T__langan

aRRRgh - We also have a '93 52 with the low wire grates. While I don't remember the exact procedure for removing the wires (did it a few years ago),I do remember it was quite simple and did NOT require any cutting. Just look around - I'm sure you can figure it out. You will be very pleased with the result - especially in reducing rotor loss in corn. Remove them from both concaves - thresher and separator. Any more questions just ask... Tom langan

93aRRRgh_52

Hi Tom, thanks for note and the vote of confidence. I say if a monkey can do it then I can on the second or third try. Do you run any soybeansIJ If you do, did removing those wires effect the combine's performance in the soybean fieldIJ I wish I could get it to swallow tough beans better. I would like to start earlier and run a little later. My old N5 would go around the clock but this 52 just doesn't seem to be able to take it. I am running a 816 in no-till drilled beans. Nick Price

brassring

ok harvester perked my interest we do raise milo and wheat should the wires not be taken outIJ and it was posted that the wires can be taken out with out cutting so can they be put back in alsoIJIJIJ thanks for all the help from all the combine guru's hope everyone is haveing a safe harvest Bob

Rolf

Get a set of cheap Vice grips get holed of one of the rods at the back of one of the check bars, large knock omerter!!!! tap, hit, wack! cheap vice grips to get rod moving, once it's moving it takes no effort at all!!!! if you get a tough one check to see at front of sep concave and make sure that it hasn't had a bit of weld on the it some were!!!!! know,,,, a bit agriculture but it works!!!! Rolf PS: Squirt rods with some diesel to help soften up the rust or crud in holes on check bars!!!!

T__langan

Nick - Yes, we do a fair amount of beans and it works fine. Most of the pods are blown out in the precleaning air stream below the accelrator rolls so there's not any shoe overload. Do what Rolf said - get a pair of vice grips on a wire and tap the grip with a hammer to loosen the wire. Once they're loose, they'll pull right out. And they are replaceable, but you're not gonna want to once you see how much less rotor loss you'll see. As for getting tough beans through - first thing is remove any and All reverse bars and just leave the spot blank. (BTW, reverse bars can be welded together and used as boat anchors!) This will probably help you out the most in a pinch. Next thing is to do the rest of the Hyper upgrades listed on the upgrade page under "Tips" on the left. We started cutting beans yesterday - beans were 12.7% but you could almost wring water out of the stems. They flowed right through like a hot knife through butter. Another possibility - if you're having a lack of power like our '93 (Cummins) did when we first got it, your injection pump might not be calibrated correctly. Take the thing off and send it to Midwest Diesel Injection Service in Ft. Dodge, IA. Our Cummins is bulletproof now and we have power to spare, and then some! To see a pic of our rotor after we Hyperized it, click on the link below... Good luck Tom langan