Combines R 75

T__langan

I find it interesting to read reports from these shows. What I'd like to know - are farmers out there in Nebraska any smarter than they are here in WisconsinIJ I find it quite humorous that farmers checking for loss behind combines at our FPS are all within about 100 ft of the headlands - in an area that the combines haven't even got running up to capacity and where they are typically doing the poorest job. I've looked there, and then walked several hundred feet down the field (alone, of course!) and seen totally different results. What's the story out thereIJ Also, our show has a 4mph speed limit - supposedly for safety. If they'd cut the combines loose, things would look differently too.

Cutter

I agree! There is no more a worse place to observe a combine during a farm show than at the beginning of a pass! Depending on header width and machine size one should expect at least 15-20 seconds for a combine to reach its steady-state (full machines). This time frame usually consumes the first 150 ft. or so, where grain loss and_or grain still on the cob is usually found (its expected). The best place to view farm show demos is at_beyond the half-way point of most passes. If the machine is not performing in an acceptable manner by then, then it is not set properly or experiencing technical difficulty. I often question most comments on these sites when it comes to combine performance at farm shows and where those who post were standing. If you don't stand at a location supporting a full combine and view atleast 5-10 passes of each combine and observe how they change, then the demo was not worth your while. Remember, farm show combine demos are typically nothing more than side-show events and are not a qualified indicator of any combines performance. Besides, everyone wants to see action anyway. Farm Show demos and on farm demos are two completely different scenarios and a farm show demo should not be a serious qualifier to the serious prospect.

Curt

I went to the farm science review in Columbus, OH a few weeks ago. This was the first time I've ever taken the time to go. I really only got to look at the new New Holland and the new Deere cutting soys. The New Holland did alright but the dust was terrible. The Deere was feeding the field mice and the birds, and replanting for next year but not so dusty. I'm being nice when I say this I've never seen losses like this. They didn't have a new Gleaner there but someone had brought there R-72 to the show with a 12-30 corn head. It ran about 4mph and I didn't see any loss to talk about. I found two ears on the ground the whole length of the field and I don't remember seeing any kernels. It didn't look like he was pushing this machine at all. It was a neat show and I think I'll go back next year. Curt

Kelly

Gleaner's have an extensive break in period due to the use of chrome everywhere. The one used at the shows was brand new. I wouldn't expect it to really get up and run until 200-300 hours was on the clock. Maybe less time than that but you have to get that chrome to polish before you can really walk the dog. Reverse bars don't help either. Kelly

SilverTurnedGreen

My best indicator when comtemplating the purchase of a new combine has been to spend an hour or two with a farmer who currently runs a similar machine to the one you wish to buy. I remember when I bought my first Deere, I spent the entire afternoon with an owner and ended up running the grain buggy for a couple hours, in addition to running his combine. He was grateful for the help; - I was grateful for a 2 hour test drive with NO input from a salesman.

T__langan

It kind of makes me wonder if the reason the Gleaners are so "dusty" when running is that they actually have a good cleaning system in them! Gleaners do have a heckuva air blast - might make for more dust flying around behind them, but also bound to make for cleaner grain too. I don't care how dusty it is behind the combine. I know you were talking about the NH in your post Curt, but yours is the 2nd post in this thread that talks about how clean the Deere was running. Tom langan

Nico

Yeah, but surely they could have shoe-horned a few more neds in the new one !!!!!!!!! What were they thinking!!!

Ed_Boysun

Poor little belt. I'm constantly amazed that four vee-belts can handle that kind of pull. I'll agree with you though - more ponies!!! It would be a real sight to look back and see frayed kevlar after that belt snapped in two. You have to clean out the processor though, while I run and get my camera.

Curt

This is a good observation Tom, I was wondering though if maybe the new Deere's can actually put the dust in the bin to make up for everything that is thrown over the back. I have to agree with you on the Gleaners though as long as the dust isn't in the cab or in the bin it doesn't matter. Every(dust)cloud should have a silver lining that's the way I look at it. A little lame humour for ya. Curt

NDDan

Corn varible uses 2000 PSI reel lift circuit to operate corn varible thus an inline relief valve (approx 500PSI) near where you couple up the tip under step. If you have no external leak and reel did not settle with straight head I would be looking at inline relief valve. I've never converted up to four strand for the three strand is great as long as you did the floor mod job. I've allways used OEM chains for I know they are great and don't need the trouble that can come with aftermarket stuff. Again floor mod dramatically reduces the strain these chains can be subjected to.