Combines R52 Capacity

mike

The 52 will have more capcity in the hills and be very similar on flat ground. Good 52's are hard to find and usually draw a premium if they are good ones. You can usually find a similar 62 for nearly the same money. Just something to consider.

Kevin_Alabama

I have a R52 and a l2 that I have retired. My opinion is the R52 will have the edge in corn I run a 830 hugger on mine and it handles it well. In beans I would say they are fairly even till you have some green stem beans or you are running in damp high humidity conditions then the l2 will out cut the R52. I ran a 820 on my l2 and a 520 on my R52. Butttttt since I have completely hypered the R52 it will out cut in all conditions the l2 now. Hyperizing the R52 made it a bean cutting hog. I also finished putting Dan Hurst floor mod on the R52 today and cut around 20 acres tonite in mud and water and it made feeding in the damp conditions behind double crop beans so much better. So if you are not going to do any mods or hyperizing on the R52, the l3 will handle beans better in all around conditions, and the R52 will have a slight edge over the l3 in corn. But if you Hyperize the R52 it will be the better machine in beans or corn in all conditions. Thats my opinion.

NDDan

Back in the late '90s we started updateing the guys straight from their l2-l3s to R50s. We hadn't switched them into N6s for we hadn't figured out how to get the edible beans threw them at that time. Ends up the R50 was just the ticket. Worked quite well right out of the box. No more associated cylinder drive parts failing, now more thresher or seperator beaters wraping with straw or spliting beans, no more walkers plugging and bending ect. Then got time to switch from R50s to next size which meant the longer rotors. It took some struggling to figure out how to flow the straw in long rotor but we got it and then reflected some of this back to short rotor of R50-55s. Not to hard to make a real animal out of these small machines. Anything we figured out for edible beans just bumped up what machine could do in other crops.

lynn

The cleaning shoe seems so much smaller on the R53 compared to the l3 I don't see how it can have the same capacity.

Kevin_Alabama

I use to think the same about the N5 that has a much larger screen and feeder house than the R52. I run both side by side and the R52 has as much or more capacity as the N5. Merry Christmas

NDDan

The secret is the accelerator rolls. They accelerate the material threw high blast of air in upper fan duct. These accelerator rolls keep material square with machine even on steep slopes. This gives the machine the ability of handling slopes without hillside equipment plus requiring much smaller shoe size. Then in '96 the shoe got longer to handle even more crop. If the prior shorter chaffer was insufficient for your crops you could cut first few louvers on chaffer loose and control with separate lever. Some guys in high yielding corn have done this trick.

lynn

Thanks for your replies. It will help me to make a decision on which way to go. There is still corn in the fields in northern Iowa. Still testing 25% + They are still having fun. Happy New Year!