Raising Quail?

Logan

Logan

Farm Hand
We are thinking about getting some quail to raise on the farm, but we've never had any. I hear that quail start laying eggs at just six weeks of age, and that they generally lay one egg a day for most of the year. We would love to not have to buy eggs at the store anymore!

Is there anything I need to know about raising quail? How much care do they require?

Digger

Digger

Golden Chicken
I've heard they're fussy and shouldn't be left on the ground, but that's about all I've heard about them. Quail eggs are pretty small, so you'll need a few of them before you can skip that store run.

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
They're great little game birds. Like with most fowl, I'm sure there's been different experiences among us. One chicken egg is pretty much the equivalent of five or six quail eggs. So, I think Digger is right, that you'll need quite a few of them if you're planning to have those eggs for your breakfast. You can breed them and sell them as game. Of course, you can also use them as meat and keep them for their eggs. They require more space than you might think and they don't usually pair well with pheasants and other fowl which tend to pick the quail off one by one. You might need to get a permit to raise them since they're wild birds.

Putnam Homestead

Eggs are small but are very healthy and mild taste. You can get special scissors to cut the shell. Very helpful as the shell is hard. Quail need very little room and are very easy to keep. Not hardly enough meat for eating them in my opinion. We just keep them for the eggs.

Trophyduck

Farm Hand
Where does one get quail if they want to raise them?