Combines Rats and Mice

John

I have not had damage done for about 8 years since using 2 containers of mothballs on the cab floor, removing the cab air filter aand putting some in the duct, putting some inside the console, and putting some mouse and rat poison on paper on the floor. But there are still a few tracks come spring. The local Case_IH dealer was selling an arasol (sp) can that you would spray into a paper bag, close the bag and put in the cab. Apparently worked very well, but the dealer can't get it anymore so I haven't tried it.

Brent_56

I have heard good results from a product called mouse out. it does not smell nearly as bad as moth balls and seems to have a similar result. If you have any access to any cats and the combine is inside put the cat inside for a day or so and that should keep the populations down also. Good luck Brent

bacman

I use fabric softener sheets in the cab and moth balls every where else on the combine. Mice can't stand the strong scent and it prevents the cab from smelling like the "MIl" living room at Christmas. Rick

gleanermanitoba

First we make sure the machine is clean we spend a day on a machine blowing out everything on it, this also helps when giving them the end of season check over as you dont fill your neck with dust etc. then use a product called cab fresh (I think thats the name) a scented potporri pack in the cab and havent had problems in years.

silverluv

We put a package of D-Con in the cab and a jar or a soup can of gasoline in the machines and it seems to work fine. If we take the gas out of the trucks in the spring and forget to put it back in, there will be mice in there in a couple of weeks.

Tom_Russell

Follow a simple 2-step program: Clean everything including in the consoles Put mothballs everywhere including in the consoles. Remember, cleaning is more important than anything else. Secondly, if you attract rodents to your cab because it is not clean, you cant drive them out as long as a source of food remains.

dairyfarmer

mothballs, mothballs, and more mothballs i have found that using the cedar scented ones takes down some of the smell heck dollar general sells a box pretty cheap so buy a few and use more than enough dairyfarmer

rbryl

Many people have told me to take a few of the gauges out and let them hang down. mice don't like bright light.

JHEnt

Does anyone know if there is more than one type of mothball availible these daysIJ The ones we have been buying do not smell nearly as much and seem to take alot longer to evaporate. I have a half a box scattered in the cab on one combine and still the mice made a nest inside the seatback over this last winter.

unit_3

One good cat in each building. We have trained them to stay in, even with the shed doors open. They hunt mice and birds and lay their kills out for us, as if we are to have them mounted and hung on the wall. There is a small triangle area on top of the throat and under the graintank on our N6 that only cats or mice can get to. They both can walk in, but only one will walk out of there.