Remedies when skunked?

Smarty Plants

Smarty Plants

Farm Hand
Last year, my poor Maine Coon got skunked while he was in his protected catio. He must've startled the skunk because it sprayed him good. We had no idea what to do other than to shave him and give him a bath. The shaving really helped, but In the end, he basically had to wear the smell off. He was not happy. I hope it never happens again, but just in case, what remedies are most successful when a pet has been skunked?

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
I've read that tomato juice is supposed to help, but when my dog got sprayed by a skunk, I washed him in tomato juice three times and I don't think it made any difference. Like your cat, he basically had to wear it off. It took about a week or so. He wasn't sprayed that badly either. So, I don't think stocking up on tomato juice is the answer, but many advice articles swear by it.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
@Smarty Plants, that was smart to shave him first! I would not have thought of that. You're lucky he was so well-behaved. I'm not sure I could get away with that with mine. I've never been in your situation, thankfully, but I've seen some commercial shampoos that are supposed to remove skunk odor. I think Walmart has it. If not, try one of the pet stores.

ms&r

Farm Hand
Good to know about the tomato juice not working too good because iv'e always be told the same, now i know not to try.

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
I hope my dog never gets skunked. I bet your poor kitty smelled awful!

I had a friend who's cat got skunked once. He was an all white boy. My friend had heard that tomato juice gets rid of the skunk smell, so he gave his kitty a nice tomato juice bath and then a regular bath because tomatoes are not good for cats to ingest. Unfortunately, the poor kitty was still smelly after his bath, and his nice white fur was a pinkish color for a while!