Renovating A 100 Year Old Farmhouse

Darrel

What are your thoughts on renovating a 100-year-old farmhouse? Is tearing it down and starting over a more economical choice?

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Hmmm... depends on how much time and money you have to spend.
New indoor plumbimg,septic,electric wiring,maybe well,some work on foundation if need be just to bring old farm house up today's codes.

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
My thoughts are complicated Darrel. Just a heads up.

If you plan on living there for the rest of your life, the money doesn't matter.

If you plan on selling it eventually, do a cost/benefit analysis. Supplies and labor vs. how much more the house will be worth when it's done. If those two cancel each other out, you wasted time and money.

The location plays into it as well. If this farmhouse is in an area where other structures are deteriorating, you won't be doing the area any favors. Your increase in value will make you a real estate comparable that will increase the value of other homes in the area when they don't deserve an increase. This also means an increase in property taxes which your neighbors, I'm sure, won't appreciate too much.

If you want a "mansion in the ghetto" so to speak, buy the White House.

I gave you fair warning Darrel. ;)

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I love old architecture and hate to see an old house destroyed. My wife and I renovated our first farmhouse that was over 200 years old. It was badly renovated in the 1960's and we decided to return it to what it was probably like at around 1900. It was a labor of love for us.

What kind of condition is the house in?