Combines round bar concaves

beanhead

I could tell you a lot about concaves........, but will just let it go to say positively the original genuine JD round bar concaves are solid bars, not hollow tubes. Your dealer is very poorly informed and should go to combine school.

tj

FYI, we've been rebuilding round bar concaves at about 500 - 800 separator hours. The round stock is usually pretty flattened when we see them.

mit9750

well, that helps, i just came from the dealer and looked at them and cked hrs. 1401 sep. we run 2 of these machines and mine were more worn than the other,(same hrs more or less) went ahead and put in new thershing elements also only because of new round bars.

dakota

Gee, Terry, I sure thought the round bar concave lasts a little longer. I've seen walker machines with 2000 sep. hours on the first concave being in corn. In wheat they might live a little shorter. That's still only one concave for all crops.

tj

Suspect that most of the wear comes from tough soybean vines and the dirt_grit which are ingested along with them, not likely from corn. Also some sets have been used with inserts in wheat - not a very good setup to begin with -- lack of retardation by concave crossbars requires very tight settings and obviously faster rotor speeds. Hope this makes sense.

deeredriver

I was told bye one fellow on here that you should stay away from round bar,,,you get longer life out of the large wire and if needed you can remove every other wire to get the same results as the round bar

tj

I'll have to agree with that except in one condition -- when harvested at moisture at what appears to be about 18% or above, some varieties of corn appear to very quickly plug standard crossbar concaves with silks hanging on the suspension wires. As far as I know, we haven't seen this problem to any great extent west of the Mississipi river, but have encountered it southern Il and IN and eastward. May be conditions instead of varieties, since it doesn't happen every season, but more so suspect the latter.

Harvester

Terry, you're right on with your assessment. In an ideal world, if you could get all the beans done before going to corn, a guy would use the round bar concaves in corn and the large wire in the beans. The round bar is the ideal for corn, no question. But for beans, unless you're willing to change the concaves to the ideal large wire, you're going to have to make sacrifices; part of the overall reason why the STS is a finicky animal. When using round bar in beans, you have to run rotor faster and concave much tighter to get beans, especially early in season, threshed acceptably (result is faster wear). The bar filler grates you can put in will help thresh, but then you've cut your capacity and we have seen more cracks, so they remain a wall decoration for the most part. Up here, we just change the concaves to large wire for beans. Not fun, but have to do it.

deeredriver

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of dry edible beans,,but I can see your point with corn. Makes sense.

JHEnt

As I recall the round bar concave kit comes with the extensions. $1400 sounds a little on the high side for the whole kit but it might be up there nowdays. Unless you are looking at some aftermarket separator gratesIJ