Selling crops through a CSA network

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I have an opportunity to sell a portion of my harvest as part of a community-supported agriculture network. It sounds like a good way to bring in some extra money and a good marketing opportunity too. But part of me is hesitant because it also sounds too good to be true. I can't wrap my mind around why someone would invest in a share of crops upfront knowing that nothing could come of it should there be an unproductive harvest. Have you ever sold your crops through a CSA program? What are some pitfalls for the homesteader that I'm not seeing?

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
Well, usually, the grower makes up for it by adding more vegetables from the bumper crop. So if you can't add a tomato because it's been a rough tomato season, you might add two or three peppers instead. There's generally a lot of good will between the grower and the buyers. It's smart of you to ask about the pitfalls though. One thing to remember is that you aren't likely to make a substantial amount by fulfilling your CSA obligations. The trick is to include add-ons that will appeal to your new customers. They can order those extras as they desire and that's where a good portion of your profit will come from.