Solar Power In Rural Areas

Jack L

Jack L

Farm Hand
The recent wildfires in California shed light on the fact that power poles and wires can age out and become dangerous. So what about solar power to run the farm? Especially in very rural areas. As an example, there are still many households today on the Navajo reservation in the American southwest who do not have electricity. The main reason being, it is too costly to run lines out as far as they are on the reservation for the small amount of people the lines would service. Solar would be an excellent alternative for them, as it would be for farmers.

Anyone here in agreement with this?

Petal to the Metal

Petal to the Metal

Golden Chicken
Californian here! It's been a rough couple of years with the relentless onslaught of fires and lack of rain. My family has been so lucky, because we don't live in those areas. My heart sure goes out to those that do.

We use solar power for some of our operations and the upfront costs are high, but it makes our farm more efficient and keeps us from dealing with blackouts. Quite a few families here use solar power to supplement what they get from the electric company. As time goes, I hope it becomes less expensive to incorporate solar power.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I think solar power is a great alternative that could benefit many underserved communities while helping save the planet. However, until the equipment becomes affordable, it's unlikely to reach those areas.