Combines Spiked rasp bars or plainIJ

Old_Pokey

Spikes will take more power to run. They will break the straw up more and in dry conditions can heavily load the cleaning unit. You have to look at you local climate, if your crops are usually tough, then go with spikes. If you're usually dry and hot, stick with standard bars. Use the bean bars you have on the back of the rotor for fine tuning. I dont know about soybeans, but if you run grean stems and leaves the bean bars can cause the material to rope up in the rotor. I use four bean bars right where the concaves transition to the seperating grates in grass, wheat, oats and small legumes. Do your own experimenting to see what works best for your machine and crop conditions. They're easy to install or remove. I've ran chrome alloy bars and stock ductal iron bars and will never run a stock bar again. The chrome alloy is so superior. These are just my opinions and are what work for me and my machine. By the way, what gleaner did you run, and what made you change your mindIJ

steamboat_will

Here is how I have been setting up our 2188's. I use four of the straight bars(The long bars that cover two of the rasp bar spots.) in the back of the rotor and then use the spiked chrome bars in the grate area of the rotor,the rear of it if you will. (I'm not trying to be condesending here but I am not sure how used to the reds ones you are yet.)I shell corn and cut beans with this set up. I did this to my primary combine last year when I rebuilt it and was very impressed.It did a better job on beans by leaving four of the smooth bars out. Now my second combine is a rice combine with full spikes and I had a real problem keeping corn from blowing right out the rotor with no straight bars in the back.I am rebuilding it this week and am doing the same thing to it I did to the other combine. spikes in the back and regular in the front with four smooth bars. I also have disrupter lugs in the rice combine because it does not have a chopper. I also use the large wear plates on the elephant ears as well and 52 bolt vanes.I got all of these parts from lowen MFG via Abilene machine in KS. I have had great luck with ther parts and they are AlOT cheaper. Hope this helps. later, Will P.S Plan on shelling some corn labor day weekend just to bug the neighbors.

Greg_C

Had 1994 model R 62. Had alot of problems from electrical to mechanical. Two main counter shaft blow outs, electric clutches replaced, you name it... never had motor trouble though with the air cooled engine but would have been very costly. Everyone we talked to liked their case machine. Got 1998 with 750 sep hrs. Time to start learning curve all over again. Thanks for your help. Greg