Combines Spring wheat and R50

tbran

Unthreshed heads means excess clearance somewhere. Period. Something I will post later deals with the leveling of the concave as a machine wears. If your 50 has over 1500 hours on it, I would level the concave not from the back, as the book says, but from the FRONT dimension. The lEFT side of the concave will wear twice as fast as the right due to a second pass of some material. (Click on TIPS then upgrades then P3 then extending the 3d heilical) A combination of worn cyl. bars and concave plus the natural tendency to pull the linkage on the lH side can easily result in 1_2" clearance! last week we had a 50 in the shop with 2000 hours.. I noticed the left concave was worn 1_4 inch more than the right. After heilicals and all the upgrades we re-leveled the grate making sure the lH side was a 1_4" closer MEASUREING FROM THE BACK OF THE 2" CROSS BAR. We rechecked the inside and found this was almost perfect in symetry. We feel it will go another thousand hours.

Brian

We don't tolerate poor performance!!! like tbran says you must have excess clearance somewhere. I have only harvested a small amount of wheat but threshing was never an issue. We could never thresh the tip kernals on wheat until we switched to Gleaners. Brian

Ed

Thanks for the comments. I now have 3 seasons on a new concave. Two seasons on new rasp bars. Wheat threshing is poorer with this concave. My l2 did a noticeably better job in wheat. To save $500, we installed the newer, high, wide wire concave. Prior to that, I could do a fairly good job with spring wheat if clearance was set to zero. The new concave has such large spaces between the wires that a head which beaks simply falls through. This does save a lot of time beating corn cob chunks out of it though. I've done the things tbran suggests though maybe we are not closing the grate enough. It was suggested to me the other day to set both the concave and its adjustable grate to the same clearance around the cylinder, instead of having a tapered space.

tbran

no, don't, look in the service manual for settings. I think I remember trying this with not good results many ytears (sic) ago. Two or at most 3 marks to min. is 'bout all before hp requirements go wild. If you do try it be real careful when starting.