Combines STS rotor loss in corn

Farm_Kid2

Surely there's a little less drastic solutionIJ The machine is in the shop and they need to decide, so any input would be appreciated. AnyoneIJ Thanks, Mike

dakota

The loss you are describing is typical for rotary separation. The kernels get screwed out the rotor, because they move so fast that they can't find the small hole to get throught the concave_separator before they fly out the back. It is often referred to as the "rifle effect" performed by a bullet screwed through the barrel of a rifle. This is why the bi-rotor has the concave rotating in the same direction as the rotor, just at a much slower speed. This make the kernel see a larger hole to get through. The first thing to try is to run the rotor as slow as possible. Another thing, that I have never tried but would like to try is the large wire concave. And not to forget the simple things; Make sure there are no filler plates in the separator grates.

Chuckm

A friend used "disrupters" on a 2388 to eliminate this problem. They broke up the husks enough that the kernals could fall through.

Harvester

The STS isn't the ideal combine for high-yielding crops, but there are things to check to make it as good as it can be. The large wire concaves may boost capacity, but round bar is best for quality, and the beater in the STS will do enough damage that you might want to stick with the round bars. Rotor speed is important. It can be too fast or too slow. Experiment and find the right speed. The first thing I look at though, is the cornhead. Make sure you are picking clean. The STS needs every advantage it can get, so make sure the cornhead is set so that no stalk is entering the combine, and ideally the husks are removed from the ears, leaving only cob and corn for the machine to separate. Husks can easily carry kernels out the back of the rotor, so I'd concentrate most of my efforts on the cornhead; that should give you the highest gains. Take the time to set the deckplates, making sure your clearance is 1_16" less at the front than at the back, and set the clearance on each row to do the cleanest job picking. Remember, combine performance starts at the header.

greenman

I also have a round bar concave, I think when the kernals hit the bar it deflects somewhat back in. I put a large wire in the first section of the concave. It seems to help but it had a lot of corn husks wrapped around the wire. This year I am taking every other wire out (nails). I have seen an after market concave and if i measure the distance of the concave openings, it would be the roughly the same as if i took every other wire out of my large wire concave. They claim this concave will solve that problem of grain loss from the rotor.

Farm_Kid2

Thanks everyone for the comments. The head is an 893 with hydraulic deckplates. The sprockets have been swapped to speed the snapping rolls up. Has anyone tried to slow the gathering chains down on a 893IJ I know the auger will throw ears out is you speed the head up too much.

FarmBuddy

As a round bar concave wears, it becomes more of a flat bar concave. The "open area" between the peaks of the round bars effectively decreases as the bars wear off the top .10 of an inch or more. Then because of the lead in ramp that wears into place and the crop has more tendancy to rifle on around. It's kind of line the peaks of rumble bars wearing down at the approach of an intersection _ stop sign on a county road. There is less intensive shake after a few years of wear. As Dakota also pointed out, rotating the concave _ holes in the same direction as the crop flow, effectively exposes more holes to the grain longer and with greater centrifugal force. You can't change the laws of physic and therefore, eventually the Bi-Rotor principle will lead to greater performance in harvesting.