Combines STS thrashing and JD pre cleaner

HRGD

There are a lot of posts to this problem below. I have tried the cover plates, installed 9 of Deere's new threshing elements, no change in sample. I am convinced the wires in the small grain concaves are too high.

tj

You're correct about the wires not being deep enough in STS concaves -- when we hardface a set of concaves we add height to the crossbars in order to provide a 3_8" depth above the wires in order to make the concaves more aggressive at retarding the crop flow. Haven't done this for rice on STS machines, as yet, but have done it for STS operators in other areas for some fairly tough threshing wheat and other crops. We've done this for years on IH machines in rice, and the difference in thresh is usually very dramatic. We also have a modified rotor which uses 18" rasp type bars as opposed to the short OEM elements which allow crop material to escape past them. These bars provide a better sweep across the concaves, maintaining thrust against concave crossbars and a more even load. We also provide a separation strip at the rear of the rotor to give some protection to the tine mounts and to move trash away from the rotor skin. email for info if you'd like.

curlboy

We combine a lot of hard thrash wheat in Canada.We run with cover plates in the middle concave,small wire.But most importantly we check that the concaves are "zeroed".Adjust the concaves so that they just tick front and back then back them off slightly.Then we run the concaves at zero to 2,and 1000 rpm. You won't grind the wheat into flour as it is usually thrashed the first time and not sent round and round the machine.

Unit_11

Has any one tried the lowen helical concaves. They look impressive but have not talk with any one running them. The concaves are even line bored which would make leveling more precise. looks like they should work for this problem. Their precleaner does have the nylon bushings.

HRGD

I used the Helical Concave in a 9750STS 2 years ago. Due to frozen grain the heads were very small which made good separation very difficult. I traded the 9750 for a 9760 which took a different concave. I'm sure under normal conditions it would work well.

cq_stripper

To fix this problem on 2388s, we run Gordon cover plates that completely block off the front 1and1_2 concaves and AlWAYS use large wire concaves. In the case of the sts this would mean 4 or 5 cover plates RIGHT UP FRONT. Forget about sending everything through the repeats and then trying to thresh it on the second lap. Do it properly the first time. Works on red ones so definately worth a try in my opinion.

Ken

loewen has some items you should probably try, nylon bushing precleaners, low wire concaves, and rasp bars.

Harvester

More aggressive rasp bars would help quite a bit. I agree 100%. STS threshes fine in large, easy thresh crops, but is not and cannot be made aggressive enough for our hard-thresh wheat and small grains in the north. Been that way since day 1. STS has terrible samples. One guy solved it by going back to a Gleaner, and was amazed at the difference in sample quality. Hopefully an aftermarket company will come up with a decent set of grains rasp bars to use, something more substantial than the elements currently used.

Wheaty1

What percent dock do you get in hard to thresh wheat when straw is green and grain moisture is around 17%IJ I ran with one concave closure cover in where the return drops and all grate covers in and averaged .6 dock and did an excellant job behind the machine.I ran the rotor at 940 with the concave set on 2.

Rockpicker

This year with a 9760 STS we had .3-.4 dockage. Moisture around 12%. I usually try to get around .2 with our CTS and 8820. It was my first year running a rotary and didn't have much experience with the cover plates and grate covers. The small size of the shoe wasn't a problem either and did an excellent job.