Combines STS VS GlEANER

T__langan

The thing you are missing is 360 degree separation. Where your STS's and Axials only separate on the lower half of the cage, Gleaners separate around the entire cage. Thus, our rotors can be half as long and still have the same separating area. Since centrifical force is what does the separating in rotaries, they will separate just as well at the top as the bottom. Walker combines employ gravity to separate, rotaries defy gravity. Some other advantages - shorter rotor = less crop in rotor at any given time which reduces hp requirement. The extra power leads to greater capacity. Shorter rotor means less total machine weight. Shorter rotor means a larger grain bin can be used - compare Gleaner's bins with Deere's in the same class. Also, for those of us who bale our straw, fewer trips around the inside of a rotor means longer straw that isn't chewed to dust. Axials are impossible in this area - STS's might be some better with their egg shaped rotor - crop isn't packed in there while it's making 10 trips around the rotor! ;) Take care!

johnboy

Tom you forgot to mention that also on the gleaners the crop doesn't get twisted but feeds in smoothly into the rotor.39 inches wide on the 62_72s so a lot of grain gets seperated very quickly in the first part of the cage. I'm not knocking the other rotaries but this why the gleaner can get away with a slightly shorter rotor.john

T__langan

My theory IS good. I'll garantee a stock Gleaner will lose no more grain right from the factory than any other on the market if it's properly set. It's just that many of us are no longer satisfied with the status quo and have found ways to reduce losses to next to nil and with very little expense. Can your STS achieve 1_4 bu_acre loss in 200 bu corn like a Hyperized Gleaner hasIJ Also, Gleaner losses can be deceiving due to the narrow discharge - put 30' worth of loss into 18" and it lOOKS excessive, but in reality, it can be very little. I tend to think some folks don't realize this when comparing Gleaners to other makes with wide discharges. Take care!

Curt

I just wanted to say one thing. Someone had to experiment with the rotor before getting it right. How long has John Deere had a roto machine since they first came out with the roto back in 80'sIJ One maybe two years now, that's what I thought. That's just my two cents worth. Curt

SilverTurnedGreen

New Holland introduced their rotary in about 1975; - a few years before IH! Does this mean IH copied their technology from New HollandIJ I think "big green machine" is asking legitimate questions, and he's certainly receiving very legitimate and understandable answers.

johnboy

Silverturnedgreen,there was a small australian engineering firm that built a few rotary style combines back in the the (1920s i think )to thresh corn. The company was called Walsh Engineering.An australian named Norm Grove-Jones also published a combine design in the early 70s that used a conventional cylinder to thresh and a cylinder to seperate longways. There is a saying " There is nothing new under the sun".john

Curt

The way I look at it is you buy John Deere you like John Deere, you buy Gleaner you like Gleaner. Otherwise you wouldn't buy them normally. I see nothing wrong with "big green machine" asking questions, every machine is different but they all do the same job and they must do it well or they wouldn't make it to the field. If he wants to know how the JD is different to the Gleaner in capacity, and threshing thats fine with me. I just said that to see what kinda response I would get, and I apologize if it offended anyone.

Retireddude

My understanding was that IH was working on the rotary first and that a top engineer jumped over to NH with the tecnology

the_big_green_machine

Very well put curt. But I would still like the seperation issue explained better since I have seen some posts regarding rotor loss. If it is a limiting factor it would be nice to know for sure. And if it isn't what is being done to correct it. I can't see where the 72 can reach the potential of a class 7 machine if you can't get the grain out before it hits the discharge.