The most profitable livestock to raise

RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
Understandably, this is not one of those instances where a generalized answer applies because profitability will depend on individual farmers and the facilities they own. What plays a part in how much profit a farmer can make?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
There are LOTS of variables depending on your location and your individual property. Do you have pastures and housing for livestock? Do you have a water source? Do you have a food source? Do you have a source for a starter herd? Do you have a market? What sells best in your area? As always, it's best to start with contacting your local cooperative extension. Livestock that is profitable in my area, may not be profitable in your area.

Last edited:
Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I think it's pretty difficult for most people to make money selling eggs. They're simply too cheap to buy at the store to make it worthwhile.

greg

greg

Farm Hand
Well, raising healthy chickens is not the only guarantee of a profitable egg business. First, you have to have a plan that identifies the target market and potential growth areas, be well versed with laws regarding egg selling in your area, and choose expert layer chickens.

The Big Cowhuna

The Big Cowhuna

Golden Chicken
I say become a rancher and run beef cattle. There are different niches to it that are still wide-open that you can get into if you have the land.

FarmEnthusiast

FarmEnthusiast

Farm Hand
It is hard to answer this unless we narrow it down to particular areas with similar climatic conditions. Again, what works for one farmer may not work for the next one.