The problem with teacup pigs

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
They don't stay tiny like that. I wish breeders would be honest with their buyers. I'm keeping three pigs until they can go to the pig haven in three months. Two were overturned to the Humane Society who asked me to take them in and the last one was rescued from an abusive situation. They were hardly feeding it because the breeder told them it would keep the pig small. But really, it just made the pig aggressive. If you hear anyone say they're getting a teacup pig, please do what you can educate them. They grow into adults who weigh over 100-lbs. They're costly to feed. They're herd animals who require a lot of space and the males need neutered. They definitely aren't going to stay small.

Kathy

Kathy

Farm Hand
A lot of people do not know that teacup is a name breeders give to potbellied pigs they've malnourished to keep small. It's really quite a sad practice. Sure, potbellied pigs are smaller than regular farm pigs, but they certainly aren't as small as a lot of breeders advertise.

Chickadee

Chickadee

Farm Hand
It's really rather sad when breeders advertise pigs as "teacup." If you didn't know any better, you'd expect them to be tiny. While they are smaller than your average farm pig, they are by no means tiny!