Thoughts on child poverty and $250

BarkerB

BarkerB

Farm Hand
I keep reading about some new item they are putting in the next stimulus. I'm not sure if it's in there yet or not. Child poverty and sending parents $250 (children from 6 to 17) and $300 (children up to 6) a month.
I'm all for helping the needy but this scares me. I've seen people play the system their whole life. I'm afraid this will make "those people" just keep having babies. I didn't read if there was a limit on number of children.

Henderson

Henderson

Golden Chicken
I look at it like I do the FLDS and the Quiverfull Christians who have an abundance of children - all those kids need to have a decent life. They didn't choose any of it. I feel lucky to be blessed like I am and I'm not about to judge anyone's circumstance. I'm sure not going to shame kids or expect them to live with the hardship of poverty. I think those that abuse the system are a minority of folks. Most people treat it right.

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I don't follow politics, so I can't speak to this exact situation, but I'm all for helping families that need it. We don't know when we might become one of "those people". I've wondered how impoverished children are doing their schooling online like many are expected to do thanks to the pandemic. Is there a parent at home to help them? Can they find a quiet space to work? Do they have a computer and easy access to the internet? Do they eat enough nutritious food to focus? I worry about kids a lot.

Mayfield

Mayfield

Farm Hand
I'm all for helping kids too but I can see the op's point. I work in a field where I see many people abuse the system. They grew up that way and continue the cycle.

I'm all for this money to be paid out monthly instead of at tax time.