Time To Mouse Proof

Trubadour

Trubadour

Farm Hand
Spring is here and this is when those rodents like to appear. Spring and fall typically. What steps do you typically take to mouse proof your buildings?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Try to make sure they can't get in. Go around the house and seal all holes you can find, insdie and outside. If you can't seal the hole, tightly stuff it with steel wool. Also, mice don't like mothballs. If you know you have someplace they're getting in stuff it with mothballs before you seal the hole.

Almost every house has mice, you just have to make it harder for them.

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
Try to make sure they can't get in. Go around the house and seal all holes you can find, insdie and outside. If you can't seal the hole, tightly stuff it with steel wool. Also, mice don't like mothballs. If you know you have someplace they're getting in stuff it with mothballs before you seal the hole.

Almost every house has mice, you just have to make it harder for them.
And the best time to find and block these entry points is during the fall season when these rodents are seeking to get in from the cold. The seeds and ground grains found in most bird-food mixtures attract mice, so you may want to keep the bird feeders as far away from the house as possible.

Melvin

Melvin

Farm Hand
I go around each winter and try to seal up holes in my buildings, but as you know, mice can fit into tiny holes, so even with my best efforts, they tend to get in.

Keeping your barns as neat as you can will also help. I store my feed in metal containers with tight lids and keep trash and other debris cleaned up.

My barn cat used to help me keep mice at bay, but he developed diabetes, so I brought him into the house. I'm going to look at getting another barn cat to help me keep the mice away.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
Like most seal any holes couple traps here and there and good cat mouser.

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
Interestingly, when next to human dwellings, mice can live up to 4 years, whereas when far from humans, they can live for about a year. Like @Wildlife says, the best way to get rid of them is by using their biological enemies - the cats. Over time, I have found the electrical, mechanical, live, and tunnel mice traps to be the most effective.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Just remember, if you get a cat to be an outside mouser, you need to feed that cat, they cannot survive on mice, in fact, they're better off if they don't even eat the rodents.