Tomato Cages

Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Farm Hand
I'm thinking about building a tomato cage for our garden this year. I know there are different types you can build. The one I'm thinking of building connects two raised beds with a wire trellis. The trellis forms an arch, which I think would look really nice in the garden. Have you ever built a tomato cage? If so what kind did you build?

Homestead Hustle

Homestead Hustle

Farm Hand
I bet that'll look great in your garden! I wish I'd thought to ask my husband to make an arch for ours when he built it. My husband is good with woodworking, so he made a nice sturdy wooden frame.

The nice thing about building one yourself is that you can make it as high and as sturdy as you want. Some of the store-bought ones aren't very sturdy, and they are generally not high enough for some tomato varieties.

MichaelS

MichaelS

Farm Hand
Interesting topic. I have used a few store bought cages. You are right, they aren't sturdy enough. We actually switched to running our tomatoes up over a trellis. We stake them when they are small. The trellis gives them the room to move, spread out and thrive.