Combines top chaffer sieve removal on 1660

david

are you sure there are bolts in the front of the seiveIJ I have a 2144 and i think it would be the same as a 1660. There have only been 2 bolts in the rear of any of the seives that I have ever had on any of the rotories i have had.(1440,1640, 2144) Sometimes the front is a bit snug and a bit hard to loosen from the flange it slides into but I haven't had bolts to deal with. good luck

cain

That is what I thought too that there were not any bolts in the front. The back is loose but it will not budge. I even tried applying pressure with a bar to pry it loose. Any ideasIJ

Big_Al

Did you take 2 bolts or 4 out from the back. On the 1688 there are 4 bolts in the back 2 go right through and have nuts on the bottom and the other 2 thread into the sieve or part of the sieve bracket. I doubt that there are bolts on the front of the sieve. Hope this helps.

bubs

Big Al has it right on the 80 series. I can't remember on the 1460 I used to have but I am sure that I have used the bobcat to shake it loose. Be careful to not pull too hard.luck to you.

cain

I took 2 bolts out on the back. The back is loose. The front is tight and holding. I had to take this sieve out right after I got the combine a few years ago and if I remember right there were 2 bolts on the front, same as the back, that had to be taken out and they were not fun to get to.

farmerb

There are NO bolts are the front of chaffer. On each side in the back there is a 3_8 bolt holding the rail up with a spacer and a 3_8 bolt holding the chaffer to the rail. So there are 4 bolts that need to be removed from the rear, none from the front. Good luck! Bob

Colorado_Farmer

I'm not sure 1660 is same as 1680 but probably is. The two front bolts on the 1680 hold the angle iron rail up that the sieve slides onto. I use to have to pull extremely hard to get the front to slide out so the last time I finally got the sieve out I added a washer to the bushing to set the gap just a bit wider. We change sieves between corn and wheat and this has made that job a lot easier. Probably need to be careful not to get the gap too wide so that the sieve would rattle and possibly break the bolt. Mine has been fine for three years. Good luck getting the sieve out this time. I can remember being at my wits end trying to remove mine before I learned this.

bubs

I let the girls climb in and check for the bolts in the front on the chaffer. That gives me a "leg up" on the problem. In all seriousness, I remember taking the chaffer out of the 1460 and putting an air foil chaffer back in. That chaffer was the nicest after market part I ever put on a machine. I wish I had one in my 2388 since the finger chaffer is stiff and hard to adjust. Dollars stand in the way untill wear calls for a replacment. The elevators are as busy as fall harvest. Every farmer that owns a semi is on the highway. We have good quality corn. I hope the processors appreciate the pride we farmers take in our quality product. I also hope the urban housewives appreciate the cheap food on their table. Murray, Tanya, our Siberian girl for this summer has been ice skating also. It was -37 last weekend when I called her. Prehaps you can come south of the border for a visit and a lesson on how to sweet talk a chaffer out of a combine. The bobcat works just fine. I used it on the 2388 this fall when I had to remove the cleaning system. I think you know the process.

cain

Yep there is 4 bolts in the back. I got it out. Thanks everyone for there help! I wish they would explain a little better in the owners manual. It only mentions 2 bolts.