Combines TR 86

Ilnewholland

long Auger, NH is the best! I am just kidding! If you what a bigger hopper maybe you should look at a TR96. The price may not be much more and you would have a bigger combine also. For there age the cab and controls are as good or better than other combines of that age. The head reverser is the best of any. You also get terrain tracer, you will not find that on any other combine of that age. We cut some wheat here in SWIl and a TR will cut with the rest of them. On straw if you don't have concave to close and rotor speed to hi you will have nice straw. Also cut the wheat a little wet and you will have nice straw, and you can cut the wheat a little wetter with a TR. I like NH but almost all rotor combines are good nowdays but a good dealer helps. For me a TR works best on my farm and I think you would like one also. Any thing else I could help just ask. Ilnewholland

l

Il, What is the horsepower rating of the 86 and 96, respectivelyIJ How much more capacity does the 96 haveIJ We are going to do about 1000-1500 acres hopefully next fall and want to keep the budget down. Also, the dealer is real good to us...We have purchased all our equipment through them (we are custom operators) Is 20' platform wide enough or would 22' or 25' be better suited. Thanks, lA.

Ilnewholland

lA, The hp on a 91 or so TR86 is 188hp and a TR96 is 240hp. Both have a turbo Ford 474cid engine but the 96 has a intercooler also. A 86 has a 190bu grain tank and a 96 has 240bu. The rotors are the same at 17", but the cleaning area is 4608 sq. in. on a 86 and 6406 sq. in. on a 96. The 86 would compare to a 1660 CIH and the 96 to a 1680 CIH. We had a small frame TR70 and then a wide frame TR95 once. With the small combine you can overrun the cleaning system with high yeild crop and that will mean you will have to drive slower, not because the rotors can't take it but it will be coming out the back. The wide frame combines will not do this. I would go with a 20' head a a min. and a 25' as max. on a 86, on the 96 25' min. and 30' as max. The smaller head you can drive faster as that is what I like to as I don't seem to get as sleepy out there. With my TR98 and a 25' head I get about 10 acres an hour in wheat, with no dumping on the go. Good day, IlNH

TR

Maurer extensions aren't a bad idea but if you do, check with your dealer and find out about a bubble up auger update kit. I can't remember if they offered one for 86's ( they did for 96's). When you put the extensions on, it increases pressure on the auger gearbox because once the original tank fills up the auger then has to push grain, and the splines on the auger and gearbox shaft won't last very long. NH came out with an update kit with a heavier gearbox and auger, if memory serves , it was about a $1000 (no labor) TR

l

Il, Thanks for the info...We are just waiting for a customer to call back and we should be good to go. Is there a site I can to to do some reading about the TR historyIJ I know that the toytractorshow.com has the CIH history and is great for research_reading...We are looking at a 996 cornhead with adj. deck plates and poly...Can't afford a chopping head. The 86 we are looking at has fore_aft pedal and we are looking at putting in a ag leader monitor. Does anyone out there have a good used one for saleIJ A 2000 would work. We don't need mapping, just accurate moisture, bushels, and acres. Be good. lA

l

Il, Thanks for the info...We are just waiting for a customer to call back and we should be good to go. Is there a site I can to to do some reading about the TR historyIJ I know that the toytractorshow.com has the CIH history and is great for research_reading...We are looking at a 996 cornhead with adj. deck plates and poly...Can't afford a chopping head. The 86 we are looking at has fore_aft pedal and we are looking at putting in a ag leader monitor. Does anyone out there have a good used one for saleIJ A 2000 would work. We don't need mapping, just accurate moisture, bushels, and acres. Be good. lA

l

Il, Have you ever had (or heard of) any problems with the seals on the rotor gear box leaking and eventually causing the machine to catch fire when the oil dried outIJ I have talked to a friend and their old 86 caught fire after they delt it, writing it off. lA.

Ilnewholland

lA, I suppose that could happen if the bearings got hot, I think most fires on TR's happen around the engine area, as I lost my 1983 TR95 to a fire there. They could never tell why it burned up. I don't think they burn any more than any other make. They can all do that. Just go look at a salvage yard. The rotor gear boxes have been trouble free for me after the TR70 I had. The TR70's gear boxes were not built as heavy as the newer combines are. I check the gear box oil a few times a year and never had to add any to any of my combine's in the last 20 years. If you did need to add oil I would rebuild the gear box soon. IlNH

scooter

Biggest weak point I found was the bubble-up auger angle gearbox. Tear the gear out or the spines. lucky to get a year out of one in wet heavy corn. Do not over fill the grainbin. Few problems other than that.

NHD

There is an update on later models that reverses the auger and the output shaft on the gearbox is tapered so if the auger is not quite straight it won't break the shaft.Also my suggeston is to put a Maurer or S.I. distributing vertical auger in the grain tank to help out the bubbleup. It is hyd driven and it toally eliminated the problem.