Training The Vines

Kyle M

Kyle M

Farm Hand
There is a local businessman who operates a vineyard not far from where I live, and I noticed something last week. Something clicked. People "train" the vines in the offseason the way they train tomato plants. I don't know if the two crops are that different in terms of how hard it is to grow and maintain them, but I thought it was a neat observation.

MC

MC

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a vine growing and am trying to train it. One thing I've learned already is that vines have a mind of their own when it comes to where they will grow. I had everything set up to grow the vine straight and the first real explorer branch decided to grow 90 degrees in the other direction. :D But it's an easy fix.

Jack L

Jack L

Farm Hand
Ivy is a vine and people in certain areas train them in order to cover their houses. I have an old fence out front that I plan to do that with. Cover it with a natural cover instead of replacing it. That would be out of my budget.

FarmHand

FarmHand

Golden Chicken
Makes sense to me. I've seen nurseries train vines with different stakes and then the vines that are already spread out nicely are charged at a premium.