Combines unload auger gear box pins

jp

Just lost our first one earlier this week. Replaced it with a grade 8 bolt that is double nutted on the advice of our dealer. He said that the grain eats away the cotter pins and lets the pin slide out. Funny how the original lasted for over ten years, but failed in less than one year after putting a new auger in. I know I got the cotter pin bent over like it should be, I checked it three times.

bob

The cotter pin should be stainless steel. Check it with a magnet to make sure.

Dave

Had that happen before also. I replaced the pin with a double nutted bolt, not very easy to install but it will work. I put a pin and cotter key back in the next season and lost it again, so I went back to the bolt setup. It seemed to last longer but much harder to install. After needing to replace the augers again I deceided to go with the splined gearbox and was glad I did, much easier to work with. I had also upgraded the lower gears to the enclosed gearbox, not a cheap investment but one that should last a long time. They do have both styles of augers avilable if you just want to upgrade the top box.

Big_Bucks

Make sure when installing pin ,head of pin to the grain flow side,

cryseed

We had that same problem for about 3 years then I took to dealer for winter service and they replaced auger because it was wore after than I haven't had a problem