Vital skills for organic farmers

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
More and more farmers are choosing the organic route. Notably, conventional grocery stores are selling more organics than ever before. I think that an organic farmer will need the usual skills we all strive to have, but most of all, it is said that organic integrity is vital. How would you define this?

Fred Olsen

Fred Olsen

More and more farmers are choosing the organic route. Notably, conventional grocery stores are selling more organics than ever before. I think that an organic farmer will need the usual skills we all strive to have, but most of all, it is said that organic integrity is vital. How would you define this?
To grow organic products, I use compost and worm castings as fertiliser, and mulching to control weeds.Information can be obtained from the profile sites, my choice is as follows Uncle Fred's Farm: Livestock, Farming, Gardening & Homesteading

Last edited:
RanchHouse

RanchHouse

Farm Hand
I think that organic integrity refers to the adherence to all required standards at the production level and maintaining these same standards to the point of the final sale. I do believe that the more traditional methods and materials result in improved environmental and human health.

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
I think that organic integrity refers to the adherence to all required standards at the production level and maintaining these same standards to the point of the final sale. I do believe that the more traditional methods and materials result in improved environmental and human health.
You are right! Integrity is useful here because not every person who claims to be an organic farmer does what is right all the time. I think that before anyone thinks of following this path, they should be ready to follow all required standards of production.