What is eating my suet?

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
I've seen some interesting bird posts lately and I love birds. So I have a problem, something is taking the suet out of one of my feeders. I have not caught the culprit yet but I hope to. The birds eat it to about half, and then it's gone. What do you think is getting it?

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
Oh, that is creepy! How the heck is the raccoon getting up that high to get it? I have not seen any around the house. I wonder if whatever it is will scare the birds away?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
I can't guarantee it's a racoon, but that's my guess. They can climb anything.

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
I've seen raccoons climb posts to get into bird feeders. I sure hope it's not one.
Where is your feeder? The birds might fly away but they will come back.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
We have feeders on tree branches and shepherds hooks. We even put feed in a mineral block holder on the ground for the squirrels and chipmunks.

Racoons are interesting and intelligent animals, too. They have to eat also!

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
It could be a squirrel too. I've seen those pesky things near our feeders. We don't feed the other wildlife just birds at our house. I figure the other animals eat the birdseed!

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
Oh yeah, I have seen squirrels running around the area where the feeders are. I never thought about them getting it out. I'll have to put a slinky or something on the pole (my parents do this). Hopefully that will stop whatever it is.

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Squirrels don't usually eat suet, but they could. The squirrels on my property never bother my suet feeders, but they sometimes empty out my bird feeders. I have a ground feeder for squirrels and rabbits (and anything else that eats on the ground) but we often have as many as 8 squirrels at the feeders at the same time, and they don't feel like waiting their turn at my ground feeder.

TammiT

TammiT

Farm Hand
Well I have seen the squirrel two times now. I make a ruckus and he runs away. I've got to figure out how to keep him out of the bird feeder. The suet that they are getting is in a feeder that has bird seed and suet on the side.