Where's The Beef?

More Green

More Green

Farm Hand
I was hearing some commentary on the radio yesterday that was heartening. Meat prices are higher than usual, but this is temporary. For awhile, farmers had to destroy beef because the restaurants they served were not open. Processing plants were closed because of Covid-19. All of this has raised prices at the supermarket. But with restaurants opening and the plants implementing measures to keep their workers safe, this price hike should end soon.

No more shopping in the vegan aisle, right? :)

So do you have enough meat to last a few more weeks?

Reactions: Ben
Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
The should come down little I have feeling half to year before prices back to so what normal...if there is going to be normal.

Reactions: Ben
Ben

Ben

Farm Hand
So do you have enough meat to last a few more weeks?
We're running low on venison, but we keep a freezer chest or two full of meat. It's more economical to and butcher the whole animal and freeze it than it is to make weekly trips to the grocery store for meat. Did those farmers have to waste the meat due to some regulation? I know that the COVID-19 outbreak meant isolation and social distancing, but why not donate the meat instead? It would be a good deed and they could take a tax write-off.

Harmony

Harmony

Farm Hand
We are okay for meat for another couple of weeks. I buy it in bulk whenever I can. I have a very large freezer in my basement where I store meat until we need it.

Minty

Minty

Farm Hand
It’s a bit of trouble right now but I think we can definitely figure it out. A few more weeks should be fine, but a couple more weeks later things can get tough. Well, considering meet is not the only option, it’s still not like the worst-case scenario to me.

Skyline

Skyline

Farm Hand
I have always been planning to switch to a more vegetarian life. Perhaps this critical time is also giving me a push. I have actually eaten less meat than before during this period. Still experiencing.

OhSusanna

OhSusanna

Golden Chicken
I've been using it to my advantage. Some people are still having parties instead of social distancing. When I see them complaining on social media about the lack of steak for their get together, I private message them and offer to have a cow or two butchered just for them - at a price! It's paid off. I also scored a short contract with a local restaurant that has opened back up.

Frankly, I'm a bit shocked at how pampered we've become. The idea of not having a steak, ribs, or whatever tasty tidbit they're craving is a catastrophe for some people. Can you imagine us all living during WWII when people were supposed to forgo meat for the soldiers and were told to plant victory gardens and not waste a thing? That would not go over well at all.