Why buy a 2WD truck

Toymaker

Farm Hand
So truck shopping and I WAS dead set on a 4WD pickup. After all - we all know 4WD holds better resale and is more attractive to buyers.

But when I started looking at used...started to dawn on me, why buy a 4WD? After all - lots of otherwise equal 2WD vehicles offered at 5-7k less than a comparable used 4WD. The fact there are less buyers strengthens my position with sellers and reality is 4WD is higher maintnance when something inevitably fails on the drivetrain.

I currently have 2WD and can think of only 1 time of getting stuck. Dont use a truck as my "primary" vehicle and doubt the truck will ever see snow. I will be using for towing - so 2WD actually gives you a few hundred added pounds of capacity (lighter vehicle - so more towing weight).

Just feels as a buyer - we in the midwest at least - are conditioned to think 4WD is always better. In reality, is it though...cost more new, cost more in upkeep and I would say 1 in 4 actually engage their 4WD...everyone else is just showing off in the parking lot with those fancy stickers on their bedsides.

Of course I have similar thoughts on diesel - but at least there price point keeps out alot of the "non pro" users.

Qapla

Qapla

Farm Hand
I have a 2WD Nissan Titan ... never had a problem with the drive train

2WD usually gives better gas mileage than 4WD ... I can tow the tractor on the trailer just fine.

Although I would "like" a 4WD - not sure when I would really "need" it, so, I'll stick with what I have

BTW - mine is a daily driver

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
Are you gonna use it off road on your farm? Is your farm hilly? Here in upstate New York, many farms are very hilly, and 2wd might easily get stuck. I use the 4wd on my truck often when I'm transporting things on my farm. We also get a lot of snow, so I also use the 4wd often in the winter. If you don't off road and you rarely get snow, 2wd would probably be fine.

Toymaker

Farm Hand
Plenty of hills...but mostly on road use.

Ride quality I never really considered...I expect either will "ride like a truck"

Norm W

Farm Hand
The last I knew 4WD gave 60% better traction than 2WD. A set of tire chains gave 400% better traction. This was in snow and ice. I figure from experience it works about the same in mud. Chains are much less expensive than purchase and up-keep of 4WD.

Wildlife

Wildlife

Bean Stalker
The last I knew 4WD gave 60% better traction than 2WD. A set of tire chains gave 400% better traction. This was in snow and ice. I figure from experience it works about the same in mud. Chains are much less expensive than purchase and up-keep of 4WD.
True but 4WD will give you better traction and steering in winter when the roads are nasty.

Norm W

Farm Hand
Having survived over 50 Syracuse winters driving all sorts of trucks and cars (Civics to Semis) I have found that if you can't go, stopping becomes less of a problem. Traction control, stability control etc. give people a false sense of security, They go faster than they should because it "feels" safe. When the situation finally goes past the laws of physics, the speed just gets them farther off the road when they loose it. I doubt many of today's drivers go to an empty parking lot during the first snow and practice skid recovery.