Combines Why don t they build small Gleaner s anymoreIJ

John

The conventionals were phased out during the Deutz era of the company. I have no idea whether the patents were sold to Agco or not. Even the small farmers in my area are running a 6-30 cornhead and atleast a 20 ft platform. This is capacity of the R40_42 and larger machines. Remember AC_Gleaner didn't have the N4 or R4 and dropped down to reach the smaller farmer as did IH with the 1420 Axial. Not very many R40_42 out there or IH 1420's due to the poor economy and the government standards that "Bigger is Better". I run an N6, (more than I need) but it fit the budget when the M2 wasn't able to handle the 6-30 on the sidehill with 200+ bu_acre. And I won't go back from the rotary. I would honestly look for an older smaller rotary that has been kept in top condition. late N5,R5,R40_42,R50_52 they should be within a decent range dollars wise and do very well for the smaller ones of us. Once you operate a rotary, and see what it can and will do over the old conventionals, you won't want to go back either. FWI the N6 costs less per year to run than my CII, F, or M2. Done much sooner and sometimes help the neighbors to keep busy.

bluestem

Thank you for your followup I do imagine thaty the new technology like rotary combines has many advantages and also effiecieny.

tbran

also it would take the same amount of man hours to build a say K4 as it would a R62. Cost between engines would be 10,000 probably , tires and finals and trans and other purchased items maybe 40 grand less. Engineering about the same say 10 grand less , lets throw in another 10 grand for good measure. list price would be close to 90 thousand. lets take off another 10 g's_ Who would pay 80,000 for a new K or FGleaner or 3300 4400 Deere or 715 IHIJ I ask many years ago why not a R32 or a C52, this was the answer given me. You just can't save enough to make it attractive to anyone to buy. I still toy with the idea of a REMANUFACTORED R40-50-60 at $75,000 or so with a warranty.....problem is if you pay anything for a core to start with there is no room for any profit considering holding costs and so on. If there were any good answers to high priced new combines someone would jump on it , rest assured.

bluestem

Thanks for the information. It sounds like it would be an exspensive machine.

Tom_Russell

Here is something else to chew on. For the past 25 years we have used tandem grain trucks for hauling out of the field. last year we decided to add another truck as a spare. Finding a chassis is no problem but nobody builds decent grain bodies for straight trucks. There is no market for small trucks because most everyone else uses semis. Small farmers like me are getting scarce. We ended up buying a complete used rig and just yesterday got it home from a body shop where they custom-built a decent end gate for dumping grain. Tom in MN

bluestem

I know what you mean the only thing built anymore has to be one size big and exspensive.

Max

Farm programs have been designed to eliminate the the small farmer like me. Machinery companies gear their production for what they see is in the future. Sad but true.

Ken

I have been wondering the same for years, and also think there would be a good market for a more reasonably priced conventional and rotary combine. Price it out without options, which would leave it most affordable at say $100-125,000, and then add options if you like. If someone would offer a conventional combine like the durable MF860, and a rotary version similar to IHC1460, I'm sure there would be a market niche for them. After all, there aren't that many combines sold these days, only around 7,000 in all of North America, so manufacturing_selling 700 of these per year would be feasible. Do it like the MF8570 was started and assembled in Portage la Praire, Manitoba, Canada. All they did was have plants all over North AMerica ship them finished parts, and they painted and assembled, and shipped out a finished combine. This saves investment and overhead of an entire manufacturing plant, including expensive insurances, especially after 911. As the OEMs obviously don't want to do it as they have shown us by only putting out beasts, maybe a farmer co-op needs to get this startedIJ With all the layoffs everywhere, I'm sure there are people out there, say from the closed down CASEIHC combine plant in Moline, that are waiting for jobs like this.