Combines Why is New Holland combines the least soldIJ

2rotorsrule

Its cause all those guys who buy 9 JD combines are wasting their money. All you need is 3 New Hollands to do what it takes 9 JD's to do. Fact is, you don't see large fleets of New Holland combines, but they sure keep a lot of trucks going. Dealer support however, is sometimes a concern and is what I believe keeps people away from New Holland combines. However, not many parts are needed since they are so reliable, and that is the truth. We buy our combines 280 miles away from home, and we've only lost a few hours of downtime, cause if you pay attention to belts and other preventative maintenance, you can order filters and have them on hand, besides filters belts and after several hours maybe a chain, you don't really need parts, nothing ever goes wrong with them. But that is why people are hesitant to take New Hollands on Harvest Runs, plus a misconception about the twin rotors states that once it gets dark, a rotor has to pull out. This is simply not true. Moisure is what makes you shut down. I don't care what you're running, once straw begins to get wet you're gonna lose grain if you push it like you did when it was dry without making adjustments. In our area, dew sets in fast, its not dependant on when it gets dark, but when it is simply too wet to combine. If you combine when its wet, you run into problems, and thats all I have to say about that.

Dakota

last March at the US Custom Harvester Meeting each combine manufacturer had a combine clinic. I walked into the room of New Holland. I found myself to be the only visitor in the room. I asked the New Holland people to introduce their combine to me so I could start comparing to the other colors. They excused themselves, that they were not ready for new customers. They had expected their existing customers there. So I came to the conclusion that New Holland wasn't all that interested in gaining new customers. I was disappointed because I feel the TR is a competitive machine and there should me more of them running. It is an answer to your question anyway.

jp

I think it is due to a lack of a good dealer network. We would have to go 110 miles to our nearest NH dealer that handles large farm machinery, compared to 18 miles for our CIH and JD dealers, JD also has a parts store two miles away from home. It is for that reason we have never considered a NH and why we run CIH.

Corn_Stalk

I agree with the fact that there are just too few NH combine dealers around. We have a NH, JD, and CIH combine dealer all within a 40mile radius of our place so there are a good mix of combines around here. However most other places they are few and far between. I think the TR's and TX's are extremely populair in the Canadian Praries though. I must disagree however with your comment about one combine doing the work of two etc. I am a TR99 owner_operator and I can't do more than our neighbours 2388's, or 9610's.

bm

Here are just a few reasons why there aren't as many New Hollands out there: lack of dealer network, worst cab on the market, that horrible auger, extremely hard to get parts for (and they're expensive),and they have a terrible resale value (partly because nobody runs them with repsect to JD and CIH). My friend's dad used to have 2 TR98s. last winter he traded them for 1 JD 9750sts. It was his first JD combine after running CaseIH's up 'til he traded his 2188s for TR98s. He said, and I quote, that the "9750 was the most impressive piece of machinery he'd sat in in over 40 years of farming." One afternoon, they ran a steel fence post through the combine. In less than 3 HOURS, the local Deere dealer had him back in the field going full steam ahead. He said if it would've been the New Hollands, it would've been 3 DAYS and a lot more money. He was so impressed with the Deere machine and dealer parts and service, that he converted his whole fleet of machinery to Deere for this growing season. (9100, 8300T, 7800, 5510, 24-R planter, 1900 and 1860 air seeder.) Not trying to start a war in here, just putting in some helpful information. Know for a fact in my area that several people are switching from red or yellow to green and the Deere's aren't even priced cheaper. That's the kind of success the STS combines are having in this part of the country.

Dryland

Enough with the JD propaganda. Don't you think John Deere demands enough of a premium without you blowing your horn as an uncompensated zealotIJ Big congratulations to John Deere for employing technology that IH, White, and New Holland came out with over 25 years ago. I own JD equipment, but only when it is a good value, and not OVERDESIGNED! I'll never understand people like you who will fall on a sword for an equipment company! Do they show you the same allegience when commodity prices are criminally lowIJ Give me a break!

2rotorsrule

Its not that I'm head over heals for one company. I would take a Case tractor over a new Holland one, and we own a John Deere 4700 sprayer and wouldn't trade it for any brand. We buy what works and is most efficient, economical, and is most profitable. Thats why we own New Holland Combines.

2rotorsrule

I don't agree with you only keeping up with a case and JD. Its all in adjustment. A TR-98 will put case or jd to shame. It will lose the least grain, and have high field speeds. Nobody can disagree that New Hollands are more reliable either.

NHD

I have read all of the RE'S; about the NHTR combines. I feel compelled to respond.Most of the points about fewer dealers is legitimate. Most of the other points mentioned are simply not true.I speak from experience. I have owned 10 or 11 of them and I also have owned JD, CIH,Gleaner, White, and Massey.I am a midwest farmer and a US Custom Harvester too.1. NH has fewer moving parts. Really I only take replacement belts, some chain connecting links, sickle sections, and filters with me and I'm out west late May-Sept 15th.2. All belts except one are sring tensioned W_ indicators as to proper tension.3. Unloading auger is very simple, the fastest on the market(TR-99). lowest maintenance, low HP requirement,easy to clean out and does not crack the grain because it does not have a vertical lift. The only reason the new combine will have an augerlike the rest is to pacify the dealers. The owners are dead set against the change.4.Harvest support-You are never more than a cell phone away from the team. They even deliver parts right to the field. They carry many major components in the trucks and theyhave others at strategic dealers along the harvest route. I have only needed a prt from them one time in 9 years. I have used their advice many times. I depend on preventive maintenance at some of the dealers along the harvest route.5.Capacity-The TR-99 will run with any of the others of its size. It has the most efficientengine the same as a Genesis tractor. It has plenty of power. Doesn't need a power boostto unload the grain tank.6. Adjustments-they are convenient to make and seldom need changing. JD for example almost needs a technition along to make adjustments as conditions change.7.quality of grain- most farmers won't even have a conventional any more for crops like malt barley for Coors. NH uses a shaker pan to deliver the grain to the shoe, starting the seperation process on the way, instead ofthe augers that mix the grain with the chaff.8. Each farmer has to know his own financial situation. last winter JD bought business for the STS's. They offered owners of other brands up to $25,000 to trade in other color combines on an STS. Hard to turn down!!9. Straw choppers-NH has the best. It usesserrated hammers w_ a swinging on each side of the stationary blade. It is far superior to any chopper using a blunt swinging hammer.We have jobs in Colo. malt barley country that won't have any other combine in the field. The NH chopper saves at least one and often two choppings. Quite a cost and time saving. In soybeans you can go right in and knife in NH-3 without pluging. Certainly can't do that with a JD. or CIH. 10. Whats this about the cabIJ I think it is the same as at least one of the others. So whats wrong with it.All of what I have said has to do with the operation of combines. Nothing to do with color or company name. Many farmers want to have there hand held at al times. If something goes wrong they want someone to blame. Can't run an efficient business like that. I say all in all the NH combine is OK!!!