Wild phlox

pseag

pseag

Farm Hand
You know those purple and white flowers that grow in the ditches, fields and all over the Northeast? Those are called wild phlox and they are a favorite of my wife and daughter. Well I dug some up last year (roots and all) and replanted them in our back field. They didn't do well, they died. Do you think they will come back this year? If not, what do you think I need to do to grow these things? I want to surprise the family!

Birdie

Golden Chicken
I wouldn't plant them in a field because the plant spreads prolifically both through seeds and through runners. It is considered invasive in some states. I'd stick them in a pot or in a garden bed instead. Whether they'll come back depends on how long you had them and whether they had ta chance to be established before the cold set in.

Farmallh

Farmallh

Golden Chicken
Those flowers (weeds) are everywhere around here. We have dug some up and planted them with no issues. They tend to multiply too, of course it takes a few years for this to happen. I bet they come up this year.

Desi

Desi

Golden Chicken
I definitely would plant these wild phlox in a ditch or a flower bed. They spread too much to be planted in a pot. I don't think they would grow and get the nutrients they need. Do they like the creeping phlox too?