Would You Join a Union?

The Back 40

The Back 40

Farm Hand
There are pros and cons to unions, no doubt, but how do you see it? Do the pros outweigh the cons to the point where you would join one given the chance?

RichZ

Chocolate Milk Cow
There are pros and cons to unions, no doubt, but how do you see it? Do the pros outweigh the cons to the point where you would join one given the chance?
I've been a union member for over 40 years. Unions protect their members from abuse by managers and get you better pay and benefits. I think the dues that you have to pay are well worth it.

Shelbii

Shelbii

Farm Hand
It depends on which union! I've had my fair share of working for unions. A couple were great and one was horrible. The dues were high and they did absolutely nothing for us!

BIGRED

BIGRED

Golden Chicken
I know of no unions in farming near me. I did join a union years ago (before I was sure about farming). It was a carpenters union, it was good. I would join a union again if I wasn't farming.

Urban Homestead

Urban Homestead

Bean Stalker
I'm 100% pro-union all the way. My husband is in the IBEW and they've been a tremendous help towards keeping the workers safe during the pandemic. If it was up to the bosses and owners, there would be no precautions taking to avoid COVID-19 exposure. The union put a stop to the recklessness.

GrowPro

GrowPro

Farm Hand
Many of us here also run businesses. I have to wonder how many of us would be happy to have our workers unionize. I think it feels very different when you're on the other side of things.

Chris T

Chris T

Farm Hand
A farmer should join a union at their earliest opportunity. Such an organization strives to enhance and protect the economic well-being of the members. When farmers come together, they stand to gain from each other.

ARC55

ARC55

Farm Hand
Farmworkers and domestic workers like nannies and housekeepers are excluded from the National Labor Relations Act of 1935. So the boss/owner would just fire whoever tried to unionize. It was a racist move by the politicians back then because most of those workers just happened to be African American. It still affects us all today, though. Some states are more union friendly than others, but overall, farmworkers can forget it.