Combines Alternator problems

beet

my money is still on a problem with the combine check the conecters between the tractor and combine sounds like a short some where in the wiring system good luck i hate wire troubles

rotor_man

I run about the same combination, but of a different color. I pull a PT 1482 IH with a steiger tractor. I have burned up the alternator twice while harvesting, seems to be chaff plugging the alternator vent holes causing the burnout. JD has a very good screen they add to combine alternators to keep em clean. If your tractor uses the same alternator, the screen might fit. Hope this helps good luck!!

ham

which machine is this on..IJ The alternator on my 21 series failed and the price for a genuine replacement was about 5 times the cost of a Motorola.

Jake

I can't belive your not also plugging your radiator. It sounds to me like you have a air leak around the air box for your rotary screen and not letting it spin up to speed or the brush is shot and letting to much dust through

swede

Ham, it is on a 1440. I had also thought of using panty-hose,but thought it might be too hot there and might melt it. I had heard that IH combines "eat" up alternators,but didn't think it could be that bad.I don't know what is considered normal for a IH. The radiator does collect some fuzz,but doesn't seem to be much of a problem through the season.Rotary brush is not that old,and I brush it backward getting ready for the season so it is not matted down. Please e-mail me the pic,I need all the help I can get.Thanks.

farmerR

I assume the combine uses a Delco style alternatorIJ If it does, replace it with the Nippon Densil brand made for Delco styled alternators. It is more expensive, but it will cure the problem. I have been in your shoes replacing several a year on a 1460 before. Never had a problem with the Nippon Densil after installing.

swede

Is this a brush-less styleIJ Somebody told me about one just this morning.This is good news for a lot of people I think.Thank you!

Rotor_Man

I used to burn up atleast 2 Delco alternators per year on my 1480 because of trash plugging the vent holes and burning up the alternator. I dont know if you guys realize it but airflow through the alternator is from rear to front, and there is a dead air space beside the engine which lets trash be pulled in from the side_rear of the engine. I found that if you make an air duct that picks up relativly clean air from the rotary screen and radiator,and direct it at the rear of the alternator it will end the alternator burnout problem. Most of the radiator air exits the fan shroud within 1 inch of the rolled lip of the fan shroud. I fabricated a U shaped duct from 2-90 degree downspout elbows which catches high speed clean air at the shroud lip and directs it at the alternator rear. This blast of clean air keeps trash away from the rear alternator air holes and keeps it clean. Have had the same $35 Delco alternator on there for 5 years.