Combines Transition cone

rod

We ran 2 1482's for years. One winter I removed the rotor from one and covered all the worn parts of the cone with light metal. I used an arc welder although I have since found out how great a mig works in situations like that. I just welded and hammered it to the shape of the cone. The other combine I did the same thing but only removed the header and stone trap, not the rotor. We ran these 2 machines 3 more years putting about 4500 acres of every kind of crop though each of them. i have since parted them out, but the patches are still there, with no holes in them and none torn off. About $10 of sheet metal and a half a day of welding was a lot cheaper than 2 new cones. It did not seem to affect feeding as we could still plug the rotor easily. Good luck.

rod

We ran 2 1482's for years. One winter I removed the rotor from one and covered all the worn parts of the cone with light metal. I used an arc welder although I have since found out how great a mig works in situations like that. I just welded and hammered it to the shape of the cone. The other combine I did the same thing but only removed the header and stone trap, not the rotor. We ran these 2 machines 3 more years putting about 4500 acres of every kind of crop though each of them. i have since parted them out, but the patches are still there, with no holes in them and none torn off. About $10 of sheet metal and a half a day of welding was a lot cheaper than 2 new cones. It did not seem to affect feeding as we could still plug the rotor easily. Good luck.

Jamer

You can get a heavy duty cone as a replacement and also a "rice cone". The rice cone is one piece as opposed to five pieces welded together like the reg. and heavy duty units...get your wallet out for the rice model..Also new through Case this year are "extended wear" packages through the dealer parts depts. Augers with special thick flighting, extra thick cage and cone vanes with thicker t-bolts, special cones may be available too...check your local dealers parts marketing flyers

ratman

Usually it will get thin around the seam on the lower left corner (as sitting in the seat). A trick I have seen done that works well is to get a half dozen of the Tungsten coated screws that hold the vanes in, and install them where the cone is thin. this should get you through another year. otherwise, a Rice cone is the way to go.

Mark

Don't bother with the time and effort of patching. You can get an excellent aftermarket cone for a great price from loewen. They have been making one piece cones for years, and up to 1_4" thickness, with vanes. Vanes standard or thicker or stainless.

OHscooter

I have used 2 lowen cones(not sure who makes what in aftermarket)on customer machines. Except for reaming a few holes,the fit was very good and I would use them again.

Chad

I'm sure if you inquire for HD wear resistant hardware from Abilene they would be able to supply that also. Counter persons sometimes are not aware of all the options.

Wolffman

How many hours will you put on this machine before you tradeIJ Thats what I based my decision on. According to loewen's book: 5_32 compares to OEM, 3_16 to rice OEM, 1_4 not offered OEM. My 1688 has 2300hrs so I figure the 3_16 should last at least another 2300 and I hope I have a 2388 long before then! Unless your a custom harvester or have very abrasive material going through the machine or just plan on using it forever, I would think 1_4 would be over-kill. CW

bubs

I would go with OEM set up for AFX. If you have not made the switch, now is a great opportunity. If the aftermarket is of the same quality I would see no problem either. Money talks.